Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i drive my 2017 WRX STi with the check engine light (steady), Hill start assist light (steady), Vehicle dynamics light (steady), Cruise control light flashing (unresponsive), S Drive light on (unresponsive). I'm an hour from the dealer. It is my only means of transportation. All the lights came on at once. Restarted the vehicle 3 hours later. No change.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,580 Posts
You don’t have to. Call the dealer, thank them for Subaru “quality,” tell them how impressive it is that a new car has failed, and have them flat bed it to themselves under warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don’t have to. Call the dealer, thank them for Subaru “quality,” tell them how impressive it is that a new car has failed, and have them flat bed it to themselves under warranty.
Dealer can get it in on Friday August 1st. Said if the check engine light is steady (not flashing) then the vehicle is safe to drive. Said when the check engine light comes on, sometimes the other lights come on/flash as a safety means.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Dealer can get it in on Friday August 1st. Said if the check engine light is steady (not flashing) then the vehicle is safe to drive. Said when the check engine light comes on, sometimes the other lights come on/flash as a safety means.
Do all of the easy things, too. Pop the hood and check the oil. Check your coolant (engine off and cool for all of this). Make sure there are no obvious things loose.

When you start, do you carry oil pressure? What temperatures are you / were you operating at?

I would be hesitant about driving any vehicle with the CEL lit up.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Do you have any aftermarket engine/"performance"/ECU related crap on your car? If you do, I'd cancel the tow. You'll be responsible for the transportation if they can relate your problem to a modification. Even if it's some kind of lighting modification that they can tie to damaging the HMU.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do all of the easy things, too. Pop the hood and check the oil. Check your coolant (engine off and cool for all of this). Make sure there are no obvious things loose.

When you start, do you carry oil pressure? What temperatures are you / were you operating at?

I would be hesitant about driving any vehicle with the CEL lit up.
It was at normal operating temperature at that time. I did check the oil level and some of the plug-ins when i got home. I do not have any mods on this vehicle (pure stock). One thing worth noting. A day later, i drove to a golf course. When done, i started the beast and found two of the four trouble lights were out and their coresponding function was back to normal (i.e. Hill brake start assist and vehicle dynamics (traction control)). Cruise control and turbo mode control are still unresponsive (turbo stuck in ). I cant help wondering if, because it was so hot out that day, thinking that the inside temperature was elevated to an extreme enough to alter or damage their respective control switches (i.e.., cruise control switching on steering wheel and turbo control on center console).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update- the second day after this occurance, two of the four issues "went away"( i.e., lights out and functioning normally). On the third day, all warning light were out and all items were back normal function. I still intend to keep the apppintment so they can pull the codes (if any) and have a serious discussion about this situation.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
sounds like a 'fouled' o2 sensor or cat. I run a can of seafoam when my lights come on in that exact fashion. It is always a P0241 code on mine. SDGR is right, though - new car shouldn't be fouling like this but rich stock tune coupled with "old man" driving like me has soot in tailpipes and on o2 sensor constantly......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update- the second day after this occurance, two of the four issues "went away"( i.e., lights out and functioning normally). On the third day, all warning light were out and all items were back normal function. I still intend to keep the apppintment so they can pull the codes (if any) and have a serious discussion about this situation.
Please keep us posted on what they say. I have the same car so...eek.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like an electrical issue. Definitely take it in to the dealer ASAP. You don’t want to risk voiding the warranty driving with any of the lights on. These OEM’s have so many loop holes for warranties it’s worse than Swiss cheese.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts