ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy wants to get a set of headers for his 04 WRX, but I'm wondering how it will affect the sound of his car. Right now he has an ATR exhaust and an uppipe and the car sounds perfect. If what I've read is correct, buying an aftermarket header will eliminate the signature "Subaru sound" because they have equal length runners, unlike the stock manifolds which are of unequal length. What we're wondering is, are there any headers out there which have unequal length tubing to preserve that nifty uneven Subaru rumble, or would an unequal length header be pointless from a performance standpoint?

Another concern is fitment with his current up-pipe. He's been shopping a good bit and most of the headers he's looked at have come bundled with an up-pipe. Is it likely that he'd hafta replace his uppipe with a proprietary one that specially fits the headers? Or could he save some money (not to mention extreme aggravation) by keeping his current up-pipe.

Last but not least, are headers really worth it? I don't expect this guy modify his car beyond the limitations of the stock turbo and engine internals. With that in mind, are headers worth bothering for a setup which will retain the stock turbo and relatively low boost levels? Will they increase turbo spool like the up-pipe did, or are they best left for highly tuned, high horsepower applications?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
check out XX Tunings headers. they keep the sig boxer rumble. not sure if you have to use their UP (youre right on w/ the equal length losing the boxer sound)

a buddy has these particular headers and theyre super nice...

definately will notice a difference, not to mention theyre assloads lighter than stock.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
ive been looking around for the whole article on a dyno tested 6 different headers but i just cant find it...

frustrating b/c its a REALLY good read and really explains each headers good/bad points.

i think teh borla ended up being the best overall??

someone out there has to know where this is.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
gusto said:
ive been looking around for the whole article on a dyno tested 6 different headers but i just cant find it...

frustrating b/c its a REALLY good read and really explains each headers good/bad points.

i think teh borla ended up being the best overall??

someone out there has to know where this is.
theres this dude on ebay selling a book for $15 and he has dynos of upipes, downpipes, catbacks, headers blah blah blah
but i was thinking bout it but i was like naaa

·
Registered
827 Posts
Borla makes junk headers. Mine cracked by the cylinder heads, and they aren't covered by the Million-Mile Warranty because I got them secondhand. My stock header is now being gasket-matched so there won't be any obstructions in the flow. It's being installed on Friday, and the car will be dynoed right after. I'll post the results on Sunday. I expect a few hundred rpms less spool, and the loss of some top end power. At least I won't be worrying about a leaking header anymore.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm interesting. So I guess my next question is to those of you who do have headers; are you using the stock up-pipe, or an aftermarket one, or are you using one that came with your headers? I spent nearly two days helping him install that godforesaken up-pipe, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna help him remove it only to install another upipe which is more or less the exact same thing.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
WRXout said:
what are the effects of having headers? i heard stock was just fine!
usually you lose a little down low and gain some power up top. with an upgraded turbo, that is made for higher in the rpm band, I think it's a good idea. some people like headers, some don't. quite a few people say it creates boost onset, but for me, once I do a pull or two through the gears, there is no added lag as they are heated.

cheeseybacon said:
Hmmmm interesting. So I guess my next question is to those of you who do have headers; are you using the stock up-pipe, or an aftermarket one, or are you using one that came with your headers? I spent nearly two days helping him install that godforesaken up-pipe, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna help him remove it only to install another upipe which is more or less the exact same thing.
just about anyone no longer has the stock up any longer, and if they do it's probably gutted. some header systems let you use different uppipe's, and some like the gt-spec make a uppipe for you to use with their system. if you are going with headers eventually, and I don't think it's a good early mod, then i'd look into a system where you can use different uppipe's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts