Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife got pulled over my some fat body Lake Orion douch bag simply because of the tint on the driver and passenger windows. She wasn't doing anything wrong and has a perfect driving record. My car has the lightest tint possible on the drivers and passengers windows. Seriously, there's hardly any difference between the windshield and the front windows. My car is always clean and in proper order. I'm the guy that actually checks his tire pressure every month to make sure my vehicle is safe. My wife hasn't gotten a ticket in 12+ years and is very courteous on the road. So many hillbillys in full size trucks everywhere in Lake Orion have tint on there windows. So you mean to tell me I can put the biggest sight obstructing Red Wings sticker on the back of my car but my side windows can't have the slightest tint below 4" from the top of the windshield? This stupid idiot better be the busiest cop in the history of law enforcment. He better be writing tickets left and right for every "criminal" going +1 mph over the speed limit and ANYONE with a license plate frame on there car because those are technicaly illegal. I mean really, come on. If she was speeding and being a b***h to the cop that would be another story. But this is just harrasment. Stupid friggin' d**k head. Nice to know my tax dollars are being used in such a great way. Go fight CRIME idiot! Not my 5' 4" wife.

·
1,377 Posts
What is the law for tint in your state? Is it 0% on the front driver & passenger? Even out here (in VA, where my car is registered) they have a 50% rule for the fronts and 35% rear and back.

I'm confused though, you said you can't have tint below 4" from the top of the windshield... that's the rule out here too, but that's only for the windshield, not the side windows. Do you have tint up front on the windshield?

·
1,377 Posts
Ok, if you're state wasn't on crack when they wrote this law I don't know what they were doing....

You have the 4 " rule on the windshield, you have a 4" rule on the front windows (totally weird... who would do that to their car? I would look so dumb.), than you can have ANY tint on the rear windows and back window. And the law is instated in 1980-something. I think it's time to vote to change the rules. I think blacked out windows are really a hazard and it should be no more than 20% on any window, but the 4" rule on the sides is rediculous. Time to move man.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Absolutely right! Totally friggin' ridiculous! 4" from the top of the windshield on the windshield and front windows ANY SHADE! Why would I put that crap on my car? My WRX looks very nice. The shading is so slight you notice it only if you're looking for it. You can see everything from the outside and from the inside it's just a slight difference. My sun strip does go about 6" but my wife is short. What's the difference if I choose to wear extra dark sunglasses? What about these stupid trucks with these huge valences hanging off the front of the windshield? Or these stupid rice rides running around with friggin' street illegal fart tips and 3 foot high spoilers that do nothing BUT block your view? And a police officer can see everything going on inside the car even from the darker back windows. I don't have crap hanging off my car. I keep it clean and safe. It looks nice and respectable and I can see everything around me with absolutely no problem. Total friggin' moron! That's all I can say about this prick. This is what makes people start to disrespect and distrust all law enforcement.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Dude, I know how you feel. I've been pulled over for every lame excuse in the book. Especially when I was 18 years old driving around in a tricked out Mitsu. 3000GT. I would see cops staring at me trying to come up with a reason to pull my ass over.

They've pulled me over for not having a front plate, for having my front windows tinted, for having modified exhaust, for supposedly speeding even though they weren't using radar or pacing me, for driving down the street in the middle of the night minding my own...You name it. Oh, the last time I got pulled over I was driving 35MPH in traffic on the freeway with my windows DOWN, and a CHP pulled me over and told me to roll my window up to look at it and gave me a ticket!!! WTF!??

It does suck to get the ticket, cause taking care of it is a pain in the ass. But it makes you madder when you're just cruisin' down the road and the cops going in the opposite direction flip a quick U-Turn and run a red light just to give you a ticket for no front licence plate. Come on.

In Cali, tinted windows is a $15 fix-it ticket. Last time I got pulled over, the cop wrote the ticket up as "uncorrectable" so the court charged me $130 instead of $15!!!! Dude, what part of window tint is NOT correctable??? Had to go to traffic court over that one.

Good luck with your ticket, hopefully you can get it signed off without having to take the tint off your car. If you keep the tint on, I suggest doing what I do and QUICKLY roll down the windows when you see a cop.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The thing that makes the MI law so moronic is that under the current law you can install ANY level of tint to the windshield and front side windows as long as it doesn't go past 4" from the top of the windshield. And ANY level on the rear glass as long as it isn't reflective.

Imagine someone installing a black vinyle band to the top 4" of the inside of his windshield and side windows and black vinyle to the entire surface of his rear doors and back glass so that absolutely no light could get through. As ridiculous and unsafe as that sounds that car would still be street legal according to MI law.

Now take a look at my car.
My Car

Now am I being unreasonable? Does my vehicle look like some getto ride? You can see all up in my buisness from the outside. I don't care what the law states, that cop was being a dick, plain and simple.

·
Registered
306 Posts
That sucks...
I've seen SO MANY 5% here in Fresno. Some people get in trouble for it, not everybody. It's also hydraulics and ricer land around here especially Friday night, all over town. The cops would be going after everybody for the next 5 years in order to get everybody "legal".

·
2,210 Posts
I can't believe anybody would even try to get away with running front window tint. That law enforcement officer did the general public a huge service in giving you that ticket. It's comforting to know that my hard earned tax dollars are being used in pursuit of such hardened and obviously dangerous criminals such as yourself. I hope you learned your lesson, for you truly are a menace to society. I feel much safer driving my car on public freeways, knowing that you have been appropriately chastized.

:rolleyes:

·
2,210 Posts
After reading your post, I got curious regarding the law here in Colorado. I found the following:

(1) (a) Except as provided in this paragraph (a), no person shall operate any motor vehicle registered in Colorado on which any window, except the windshield, is composed of, covered by, or treated with any material or component which presents an opaque, nontransparent, or metallic or mirrored appearance in such a way that it allows less than twenty-seven percent light transmittance. The windshield shall allow seventy percent light transmittance. The provisions of this paragraph (a) shall not apply to the windows to the rear of the driver, including the rear window, on any motor vehicle; however, if such windows allow less than twenty-seven percent light transmittance, then the front side windows and the windshield on such vehicles shall allow seventy percent light transmittance.

(b) Notwithstanding any provision of paragraph (a) of this subsection (1), nontransparent material may be applied, installed, or affixed to the topmost portion of the windshield subject to the following:

(I) The bottom edge of the material extends no more than four inches measured from the top of the windshield down;

(II) The material is not red or amber in color, nor does it affect perception of primary colors or otherwise distort vision or contain lettering that distorts or obstructs vision;

(III) The material does not reflect sunlight or headlight glare into the eyes of occupants of oncoming or preceding vehicles to any greater extent than the windshield without the material.
Talk about obfuscated wording! Translated:

1. All windows except the windshield must allow at least 27% light transmittance.
2. The windshield must allow 70% light transmittance.
3. Disregard what we just said when tinting the windows to the rear of the driver.
4. If you tint the windows to the rear of the driver to allow less than 27% light transmittance, then the front side windows must allow 70% light transmittance, just like the windshield.

So according to the law I get to run a 70% light transmittance tint on the windshield, plus if I 'only' run a 27% light transmittance tint on the rear, I get to do likewise (27%) on the front side windows. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 27% light transmittance seems like a pretty dark tint. :eek:

-Pace

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Koyokid,

Tell your wife to take a day off from work and fight the ticket. I don't care if it's a $25 and wouldn't hurt your wallet at all, she should fight it on principal. Read the law(s), take photos of the windows and have them light tested to see if they are legal. IF they are, get a written document saying so. This way if either of you get pulled over again, you can whip out the paper and politely tell them to f**k off!

If your tint really is illegal, then lesson learned.

You are right tho, usually an "obstructed view" or "window tint" ticket is a tag on ticket that a cop gives someone that he/she has pulled over for a moving violation. It is almost harassment to be pulled over solely for window tint. One of my best friends is a police officer and he even considered "failure to signal a turn" a "harassment style" offense. He won't ticket you for it unless you are speeding as well, for example.

Anyway, that sux.

-Jim

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
No tint AT ALL on the front windows!!!! That's ridiculous. Your tint is very tasteful and the car might even look funny without the front windows tinted.

Damn, so I guess (technically) you did break the law. Lesson learned. How much is the fine?

I like jmussetter's idea of rolling down the windows real quick. If the cop pulls you over for something else, I would calmly roll down both front windows before s/he notices.

-Jim

koyokid said:
The thing that makes the MI law so moronic is that under the current law you can install ANY level of tint to the windshield and front side windows as long as it doesn't go past 4" from the top of the windshield. And ANY level on the rear glass as long as it isn't reflective.

Now take a look at my car.
My Car

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The tint that WAS (I had it removed yesterday) on my car was the lightest shade available. I did that just for this reason. There is no limo tint anywhere on my car. Not even the back. Like I said I don't care what the "law" states regarding this. According to the "law" I can put a completely unsafe vehicle on the road and never be pulled over. You're right though, lesson learned. So I went to the source yesterday and wrote a letter to my congressional representative regaring this completely ludicrous law. But nothing will change my mind that the fat body that pulled my wife over is a dick head.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Florida's law states 28% front, 15% rear. For multi-passenger vehicles such as minivans and suvs it states 6% rear. I've lived here for 7 years and I've always had limo tint on all my windows and have never been bothered. You actually need tint down here, it's the only place I know where you can get a sunburn while driving around with your windows rolled up and ac on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry that Cop was a dick. I actually got pulled over in Lake Orion before and the guy was a cock too. I lived in Ann Arbor for 2 years and worked at the Kensington Valley Factory Outlet and Great Lakes Crossing which according to your residence listing you should be familiar with. If you wanna beef about stupid road shate in MI PM me. I love Michigan, but just like anywhere else there is some wack stuff. I was dying about the Red Wings truck banner you talked about. That stuff is all over and 100% obnoxious. I'd rather chill with ricers than those types of necks. Much love to Washtenaw Cty and Mo-Town.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i got 35% on the fron and rear doors, and 20% on the rear window.

MA laws are pretty weak (35% all around) but with the black interior, it's pretty dark.

sorry about the loser pig. they're not all bad, just most of 'em. :)

dR

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree that the cop was a jerk. Legal here in MI is 35% across the entire front windows, and I don't think it's limited behind the driver. I remember a while back when I was in Flushing (by Flint) there was a cop that pulled me over (Flushing cops have, or at least had a reputation for being horrible) had me roll up the window in the truck I had. It may have had 35% originally, but it had been on there for some time and I could see where it had faded from where the ventshades had blocked some of the sun, so technically it wasn't even 35%. He didn't say anything else about it, he pulled me over for other reasons... I do sympathise though, some of the MI laws suck.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Wow! This is an old thread! ;)

I give you all the compliments in the world for using the search button though! :thumbup: :wiggles: :wiggles: :wiggles: :wiggles:
(Welcome, BTW!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts