ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I need some studded tires for handling dirt, snow, and ice on the rally circuit. What kind should I get? Where do I get them? My internet search came up with NOTHING but bike tires! Help.

-Jim

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
OK, I need some studded tires for handling dirt, snow, and ice on the rally circuit. What kind should I get? Where do I get them? My internet search came up with NOTHING but bike tires! Help.

-Jim
why dont u just get a good set of dirt or snow tires and have them studded

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Jim, although you wouldn't think it....some classes don't allow studded tyres. They do however allow certain minor changes to the tyre like drilling. I'm probably going with Yoko Guardex 720

·
Registered
13 Posts
Studded tires!

Take it from someone that lives in Alaska and drives on snow and ice packed roads 5 months a year, go for the Nokian Hakkapalita 1's. There is no other studded tire in my book. I've tried the Dunlops and Firestones and several no name brands. None stick as well in the ice and snow as the Hakka 1's with the wide open tread. Nokian also makes studless winter tires like the NRW that are used by local ice racers (filled with 800 sheet rock screws each, of course).

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Jim, I saw a website approximately 6 months ago that sold all sorts of rally tires (studded included). I'm having a hard time finding it, but I'll come back and post it if I'm successful in my search.

Rod

·
Registered
13 Posts
The "eco stud" system on the Hakkas really works too. I used to get 3 winters if I was lucky before the studs were pretty much toast. My wife is driving on a set of Hakka 1's with the eco-studs that is 5 years old and still kicking. Basically, they are allowed to retrack into the tire when they roll over hard surfaces, but still bite into ice when needed.

Other studs are available from different manufacturers that claim to be pavement friendly, but they are typically made of aluminum and last a year, maybe two before they need to be replaced or tossed away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts