Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, installed a new td05 20g in my 06 wrx and it was all good, I took it for a drive and the coolant supply to turbo sprung a leak. After fixing the hose, took my car out again and now the turbo is acting really strange. It has a lot of vuccum pressure during cruise conditions, and I have to really smash the gas to get it to spool up and its only getting to 10psi tho I'm tuned for 16psi. There's also a lot of airy noise coming from under the hood when it boosts. Hard to tell where it's coming from or if it's just the turbo itself. I didn't do anything different between the first test drive and the second. The car sat in weather below 20 degrees for about 3 weeks before I could fix the hose. I left the oil supply undone, hopefully the insides of the turbo did not get rusty and its just having a hard time spinning. Thoughts? Also when I fired it up it was misfiring and hesitating like crazy when I gave it throttle, tho the tank was on E so it might have been due to watery gas from the cold. I filled up with new gas and the hesitating and misfires is gone, now I have this weird turbo issue.

·
Æternum
16,078 Posts
Are you positive?

10 PSI is typically wastegate pressure for many aftermarket turbos with IWG.

If the IAM drops below 0.5, the car will pull all WGDC leaving the car to run wastegate pressure.

What is your IAM? Your tuner would help you a lot more than you might think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you positive?

10 PSI is typically wastegate pressure for many aftermarket turbos with IWG.

If the IAM drops below 0.5, the car will pull all WGDC leaving the car to run wastegate pressure.

What is your IAM? Your tuner would help you a lot more than you might think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
DAM is 1.0. No fdbk knock occuring. No misfires. Nothing with the tune seems wrong. It could be something with the wastegate I'll have to check it out further.

·
Æternum
16,078 Posts
Check your EBCS pressure and vacuum lines. Post a picture here if you'd like.

After that, there's a good chance you'll need to pressure test your manifold to look for leaks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Check your EBCS pressure and vacuum lines. Post a picture here if you'd like.

After that, there's a good chance you'll need to pressure test your manifold to look for leaks.
Just checked everything, it's all exactly how it was before the issue. I even pulled the dp to make sure the turbo is spinning freely and it is. I've triple checked all boost and vacuum connections. I took a little bit of preload off the wastegate to see if that makes a difference. I'm going to check my WGDC next.

The manifold was taken off a few months ago for an oil leak repair, I installed everything back with new gaskets. It's possible there's a boost leak somewhere but I doubt it. I definitely should rig up a tester.

I have a grimspeed ebcs. Not sure how often those go bad.

update: after reconnecting the DP, unplugging/replugging the ebcs, and taking preload off the wastegate, it seems to build boost easier and less vacuum. however its still only boosting between 8-10 psi. im going to see if theres a way to test the grimmspeed ebcs, i have no other stock ones to swap out and try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts