ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So read a few different things regarding this. some say i need to crack both cases to swap them because of the circlips? others iv seen said just split the old one and then slide them in the new one?

proper way to get them out and in? running out of time to get the car running, lol. i didn't expect this so its a pretty major snag... :rolleyes:

·
10,473 Posts
I haven't done it personally and can't really offer adequate advise. Have you googled the factory service manual and see what it suggests

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Iv always had issues located free factory literature and im not spending 50$ on a hayes manual to get some genaric info. Did that with my 89 f150 when i first got it to realize i can find everything on forums

Anyway.. so no, no luck with factory service manual despite looking. Im not necessarily opposed to cracking the old one open to pull the shafts but the 4.44 doesnt have the stub shafts which tells me THOSE were just popped out. Why a chop shop of sorts would crack the housing and open the diff to take the two 40$ shafts is beyond me so no...

Just wondering if now, my shafts are the ones i have to open to get oit and if they will just "pop" into the 4.44? Still havent got the trans fully removed, its all unbolted, just having an issue actually getting to drop from the car. Hopefully by the end of the week

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so found a few things out over the last few hours. with the help of some friends was able to search through some helpful literature. I also stumbled upon a post on NASIOC showing an image from one of the service manuals regarding a form of slide hammer to mount to the stub, pin, and pop that sucker out.

Also, I spoke with the shop who sold me the transmission. He mentioned Subaru made both male and female axles up from across the platforms and claims people convert their transmissions from females shafts to male shafts all the time because pulling the stub shafts usually results in needing to change the seals and what not.

With that being said. looking for male shafts for WRX I didn't find much. but since i assume this 4.44 maybe came out of an old forest XT, which has male axles... currently as we speak, a parts guy, thanks to this forum, has just informed he has male axles (wish i didn't have to spend the money... but im getting impatient as i can see the proverbial finish line, lol)

·
10,473 Posts
Where are you located? There is a place in Cincinnati called Turn In Concepts. If its building a Subaru, they are the ones to go to. They know it, and can get it affordably.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in coastal central Florida. I did check their website and i thought to myself "Maybe i can email them asking for items they don't advertise?" as you said if a shop like this builds them and knows them.. then, perhaps they likely access to a bunch of GD parts.

I ordered the male cv shafts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts