ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to embark on a true upgrade path with my Rex, and want to start with some mild modification to the suspension. I was wondering how much I could accomplish by just installing front and rear strut-tower braces. Also, which are the best to get. I like the carbon STi ones but I ain't spending $500 on a tube! The Cusco's or Whitelines looked pretty good for sub $200. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
772 Posts
Do the front and rear sway bars first, the rex is ready stiff and unless you do major racing the tower bars won't do 2 much, unlike a civic.

Also get the vivid rear bar end link they are sweet and does help the suspension out.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Im going with cusco all the way...

CUSCO 21mm Front Sway Bar $140
CUSCO 22mm rear (3-way adj.) $140
CUSCO Type OS Front Upper Strut Bar $140
CUSCO Type OS Rear Upper Strut Bar $140
CUSCO Version II Front Lower Arm Bar $140
CUSCO Version II Rear Lower Arm Bar $140

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome,

I've been hearing good things about Cusco recently. Where did you get those prices, everywhere I've looked seems far more expensive!

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
772 Posts
Nexus6 said:
Im going with cusco all the way...

CUSCO 21mm Front Sway Bar $140
CUSCO 22mm rear (3-way adj.) $140
CUSCO Type OS Front Upper Strut Bar $140
CUSCO Type OS Rear Upper Strut Bar $140
CUSCO Version II Front Lower Arm Bar $140
CUSCO Version II Rear Lower Arm Bar $140
Yeah Nexus6 where did you get those good prices. Please share the secret :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree, I dont believe you'll fell a whole lot of difference from the strut tower braces as you will the swaybars,

they will help, but sways are the way to start

we're goign to have our own line of swaybar endlinks available soon too, so keep an eye out for them, I think you'll be happy with our prices

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much of a benefit will those lower arms bars be when used in conjunction with the cusco sway bar/strut brace set up (which, by the way, I'm gonna get cause they're dirt cheap at German Autoworks, THANKS FOR THAT LINK)?

I'm assuming you think this cusco setup is the best way to go as a first suspension upgrade.

Thanks for all the info!

Michael-

·
Registered
86 Posts
actually I have quite a stiff setup on my car consisting of JIC coilovers, aluminum control arms, Cusco stabilizer bars, under bar and I just added the front and rear strut tower bars and those made the car turn in more sharply and feel much more solid and flat under cornering...

just my $0.02 ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am new to these cars, but I was under the impression that they already had a decent size sway bar in the front and rear stock. Am I wrong? I was looking into modifying suspension first, then engine so I was wondering where to start. My original idea was strut tower bars, but it seems like you guys are saying sway bars. Thanks for any clarifications.

Matt

·
Registered
387 Posts
The WRX understeers, so pretty much everyone says correct that with a stiffer rear swaybar. The strut tower bars, etc. seem to improve response and feel, so they usually come next along with various links, bushings, etc.
BTW, I know a rally shop that makes real rally style front upper and lower bars for me. They do not adjust, but just sit there and hold tight. :) Less flex, more performance. $200 for the pair. Dark blue.
In fact, rally cars usually have them welded in from what I'm told.

·
Registered
831 Posts
ellisnc said:
actually I have quite a stiff setup on my car consisting of JIC coilovers, aluminum control arms, Cusco stabilizer bars, under bar and I just added the front and rear strut tower bars and those made the car turn in more sharply and feel much more solid and flat under cornering...

just my $0.02 ;)
ellisnc,

Do you have the sedan or the wagon ? I just got my Cusco rear strut tower brace. Looked at the install photos on Scooby mods and for the wagon it looks quite simple. The top of the struts are right there under your nose. Did some preliminary checking today, peeled back that cover in my trunk over the wheel wells and, ah, where the heck are the top of the struts ? Am I missing something simple here ? :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Strut bars probably only help when you have substantial suspension work. I would go with the rear swaybar endlinks and a rear bar first.

Scoobysteve, do you have pics of your car?? I like the 5 ziegen fighters and want to see them on a car. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey what does a lower arm bar do??? does it just stiffen up the car or does it combat understeer???

·
Registered
831 Posts
M3sum said:
Strut bars probably only help when you have substantial suspension work. I would go with the rear swaybar endlinks and a rear bar first.

Scoobysteve, do you have pics of your car?? I like the 5 ziegen fighters and want to see them on a car. Thanks
Hey, M3sum.

Already got the endlinks and rear bar, so I think the strut tower brace is my logical next move. Now, I just need to get a little more time to figure how to get it on there.

Sorry, no pics yet. Haven't moved into the 21st century with a digital camera up to this point. I priced some the other day and almost gagged. My kid's a big photography buff, he's coming over this weekend - I'll have him shoot my car and I'll post it. I'm happy with the appearance of the rims: a dark bronze hue and they help give the car that "don't f*** with me" look.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Steve,

Yeah, maybe a front sway bar if you want, but I'm not sure of the handling right now with your setup as I just have the endlinks so you may not want a bigger front swaybar. It would cause more understeer relative to your current setup. But if you are oversteering, that will neutralize it.

Sweet, I am looking forward to seeing some pics! Its strange that 5zigen calls it titanium when its more like bronze IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
WizardBlackWRX said:
The WRX understeers, so pretty much everyone says correct that with a stiffer rear swaybar. The strut tower bars, etc. seem to improve response and feel, so they usually come next along with various links, bushings, etc.
BTW, I know a rally shop that makes real rally style front upper and lower bars for me. They do not adjust, but just sit there and hold tight. :) Less flex, more performance. $200 for the pair. Dark blue.
In fact, rally cars usually have them welded in from what I'm told.
Yeah, the Prodrive cars at pikes peak had all that stuff welded up. The strut tower bar didn't link tower to tower, but actually went through the bulkhead to weld up to the forward bar of the rollcage. Stiff, stiff, stiff!

·
Registered
86 Posts
ScoobySteve said:

ellisnc,

Do you have the sedan or the wagon ? I just got my Cusco rear strut tower brace. Looked at the install photos on Scooby mods and for the wagon it looks quite simple. The top of the struts are right there under your nose. Did some preliminary checking today, peeled back that cover in my trunk over the wheel wells and, ah, where the heck are the top of the struts ? Am I missing something simple here ? :confused:
under the rear seat-back

take the rear seat out and you'll see them, there are some little metal caps that you can remove as well

not so diffecult...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts