ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Ive been immensely enjoying my WRX '11 Sedan. I was considering getting a Strut Bar for my sedan and had few questions -

1. Do Strut bars really make a difference with this car, considering the boxer engine and its placement, along with the AWD?

2. Which Strut bar is a good choice? -
Perrin: Perrin Front Strut Bar for 08-11 WRX/STi
Whiteline: Whiteline adjustable Front Strut Brace 08+ WRX
GTSPEC: GTSPEC Type-D Aluminum Front Strut Bar for 08-11 WRX/STi
DCSport: DC Sports Carbon-Steel Front Strut Bar for 08-11 WRX/STi
Cusco: Cusco Type OS Front Strut Bar for 08-11 Subaru WRX

3. What is the difference between adjustable and non-adjustable strut bars? Does it make a difference which one i get?

Appreciate your support on this, since im a n00b stocker ;)
thanks guys!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i agree and ive read they make tremendous difference in the handling. But im kinna broke till the end of the year so its currently not in my plan. i believe it should cost around 700-800 USD for the front and back together; i guess Whiteline has been the manufacturer of choice at most places.

But aren't the stock ones stiff enough to keep the chassis tight? i believe for the performance, the WRX requires a serious handling upgrade.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Unfortunately, strut tower bar first is a waste of money without sways. Wouldn't be much more than eye candy.

I did our 11 wrx wagon with whiteline's street kit and rallitek end links. Both front and back for like $450 delivered. Made a huge difference.

You don't feel them in normal driving, but really flatten the car out when you push it.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
i agree and ive read they make tremendous difference in the handling. But im kinna broke till the end of the year so its currently not in my plan. i believe it should cost around 700-800 USD for the front and back together; i guess Whiteline has been the manufacturer of choice at most places.

But aren't the stock ones stiff enough to keep the chassis tight? i believe for the performance, the WRX requires a serious handling upgrade.
here in the US a set of front & rear sway bars & endlinks would cost about $600-$700.You could contact Whiteline & ask them if they will ship to you directly,or ask some of the vendors how much it would cost to ship the item to you.

The stock sway bar & endlinks are puny and are the cause for the bodyroll & understeer.I would just save my money & get aftermarket sways & endlinks instead of the strut bar.

In the meantime you could start out by changing bushings.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
If they had those cheap chinese ones for the 2011 models I'd say it's a no brainer and buy them. You used to be able to get them for $65 or so shipped for both off ebay, but nobody is making them for the 2011.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sweet good info...
one more thing...what is the difference between adjustable and non adjustable - sways and struts? I mean if they are adjustable and not fixed, that would lead to loosening over a period of time and requires re adjusting. correct me if i am wrong here please...thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Adjustable sways come with different settings that allow you to adjust the stiffness of the bar.Some come with a soft/ hard setting while some have a soft/medium/hard setting.It is quite simple .Each end of the sway bar comes with 2-3 holes.The further away the hole is from the D bushing bracket the softer the setup.

Also the bar I have is from whiteline.While the rear sway bar has 3 settings,the front has just 2.I do not know if this is the same with all brands.

Nothing should come loose if everything is torqued properly.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with the strut bar....the cost/performance ratio is way off.....as others have said you would vastly benefit from sways/endlinks.

The adjustable sway bars have 2-3 different holes that connect to the end links, shorter and they're stiffer, longer and they're softer.

Here's a pic:

EDIT: damn you Tony! beating me to it!

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
^^^dude,is that your sway bar.It looks terrible.What make is that?I know that it is just a piece of steel but they could have at least put in some effort.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
lol no man!

google images....I just hot linked the first image I found that had a good visibility of adjustable sways lol.

I'm on stock sways for now....unless you wanna buy me a set of whitelines with kb endlinks <3

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did front AND rear GTSPEC strut bars. Seems to help keep it level when I take 20mph exit ramps at 55. Some reviews have said the WRX has too much body roll ... my car has so little that passengers are amazed. I enjoy telling riders to hang on because I ain't hitting the brakes, then hearing them say wow, that wasn't bad at all. No, that is amazing for a $25K car. Thanks go to the low center of gravity from the boxer engine, Dunlop's, and my strut bars !!!

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I would just save my money & get aftermarket sways & endlinks instead of the strut bar. In the meantime you could start out by changing bushings.
:qft:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guys, that really helps.

@rage & lokey - the shipment is not much of a problem as i have certain tie ups with aramex for low cost shipping from US to here ;)

one more question though, the mm must be the thickness which should be directly proportional to the stiffness? so 25mm will be stiffer than 22 or 24 mm?

is there any part that connects to the steering and betters the steering of the vehicle? i know there is a steering mod that helps - Q-rack Q-Rack - Quick Steering Rack for 1998 and up Imprezas. But something other than the steering coloum itself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If they had those cheap chinese ones for the 2011 models I'd say it's a no brainer and buy them. You used to be able to get them for $65 or so shipped for both off ebay, but nobody is making them for the 2011.
True, but i guess i rather take it slow with good quality part by part and do this over a period of time. im in no rush as such. ;) but i rather invest correctly.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
demonik said:
one more question though, the mm must be the thickness which should be directly proportional to the stiffness? so 25mm will be stiffer than 22 or 24 mm?
Yes.

demonik said:
is there any part that connects to the steering and betters the steering of the vehicle? i know there is a steering mod that helps - Q-rack Q-Rack - Quick Steering Rack for 1998 and up Imprezas. But something other than the steering coloum itself.
Steering Rack Bushings. Whiteline makes a set.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Reactions: demonik
1 - 20 of 32 Posts