Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I was wondering if anyone would know if the Beatrush S86020-FTA would fit on a 2015 STi. I only ask this, as I finally found out that the AOS that was installed on my STi before I bought it, is a IAG AOS and apparently most strut bars won't fit with this AOS installed. I seen pics of it installed but were on the 08-14 STi models. So would that strut bar fit on a 15 STi or is there a strut bar for the 15 STi that will fit with the IAG AOS.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
I wouldn't waste your time and money with a front strut bar. It will offer no advantage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't waste your time and money with a front strut bar. It will offer no advantage.

I plan on taking my car to my local track once in a while and there are a few parts they require to be installed when using the track. A strut bar is one of them.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Show me the rule book.

Are you confusing strut bar with roll bar?

The strut towers are very close to the firewall adding to the rigidity. A strut tower bar is unnecessary.

On third thought, the rule requiring a strut tower bar is ridiculous. You must be thinking of something different.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I went to the track yesterday, the guy there went over my car and he specifically said strut bar that connects from top strut mount to top strut mount.

I think it's ridiculous also but rules are rules.

So either I put on and use the track or don't get one and don't get to use the track. No point in fighting it.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Can you let me know which track and HPDE program? I'll see if I can pull up a rulebook.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
When I went to the track yesterday, the guy there went over my car and he specifically said strut bar that connects from top strut mount to top strut mount.

I think it's ridiculous also but rules are rules.

So either I put on and use the track or don't get one and don't get to use the track. No point in fighting it.
So I can't take my Ferrari Enzo to the track?

I'm confident you miss understood. He may have been referring to roll bars that connect to specific frame points but there are several vehicles it would be a complete pain and nearly impossible task to install one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
Did he phrase it specifically as a requirement? I don't mean it in any demeaning way; its just sometimes people say things and it is received as "required" or "the law" when it was actually said
as more like "you should have this...." And also sometimes people will say things like "you will need to...." meaning he thinks you should do a certain thing and not what is in the actual rule book.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Hi, I would like to help you in showing that this is not required to race in the rulebook. This will save you some money and improve the performance of the vehicle (I'm personally allergic to adding front weight to a nose-heavy car).

I've reviewed the SCCA regulations for club racing and there seems to be no requirement for any car to have front strut bracing in any class.

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.ne...330/GCR-_Updated_December_2017.pdf?1512078590

The keywords used are: strut tower brace, strut tower bar, strut tower stayrod.

Now, tracks may require specialized local regulation to participate. Of course there is no point in arguing against these (as you have mentioned), but also I can't think of any safety reason that a front strut tower bar would be required. If you let me know which track you are planning to run and the type of motorsport (club racing, time attack, hpde) I can look up the local track regulation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've been autocrossing & time trialing for 38 years and have never heard of a strut tower brace being required for any class. They usually bump you up a class, especially if it triangulates and mounts to the firewall in any way. If a local club or track required it I'd personally want to now what their logic was.

That all being said, I've had them on a number of my cars...especially older Fox bodied 5.0's running in E-Mod. And I'll admit I have a Perrin brace on my '16 WRX now. It is truly not needed and is a waste of money, but I had a weak moment and a $180 in my pocket. :rolleyes:

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
The strut tower bar would be beneficial for the 5.0, particularly the Fox body I'm sure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The strut tower bar would be beneficial for the 5.0, particularly the Fox body I'm sure.
I frequently tracked my old Mustangs and since I was already running classes that allowed the strut braces, I ran them.
I felt they, along with sub-frame connectors, were good insurance to keeping my cars more solid in their later years.

But the need for one in a late model WRX is very questionable. The cars already have a fairly rigid chassis.
Can't understand any track or club making a strut tower brace a requirement....on any car. :confused:

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Or beer.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
Or beer.

I usually just hold it and stare at the engine bay until I'm out. Then I fix the car.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
I gotten my answer from else where, since everyone here seemed to got way off track.
That no race track or governing body requires one?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts