Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2017 WRX Premium, stock everything. Recently been noticing a very strong exhaust smell in the cabin when I get it up to highway speeds, or if I accelerate hard at lower speeds. When I first noticed it, it seemed to smell like pure gas, but now it is more like exhaust. The smell goes away after not too long, but it is very strong initially. It never happened until after my 60K service (which includes new spark plugs). Thoughts? Fuel running rich, something else? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16 WRX cvt
511 Posts
Dont think it has anything do to with plugs.

Usually a leak in the exhaust closer to the front. More common on the EJ series because more joints with the up-pipe and all, but for the fa20 of your model thats weird. Maybe try to remove the skid plate and on a cold start try to spot a leak.

Even better, get somebody with a smoker machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Are you in a tropical area by any chance? I get a exhaust-like smell on hard acceleration in the morning on days when there's a lot of dew/condensation. In most cars, not just wrx. Goes away once fully warmed up.

·
Registered
2021 WRX Premium MT
11 Posts
I have noticed the catalytic converter heats up very quickly on these cars, and smells much more in the cabin than most under acceleration. My 21 WRX does this, and my son's 19 STI was the same as well. I have a long grade on my way home that I usually roll into the throttle pretty good for fun and I smell it every time within a few seconds, but consider normal.
Perhaps it's the converter/exhaust you are smelling?

·
Registered
16 WRX cvt
511 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2015 WRX.. Basically what's happening is the vents in the trunk are not properly closing causing exhaust fumes to leak into the cabin. I found a service bulletin on how to fix it ( 12-231-18R Subaru Technical Service Bulletin ). I will be making an appointment with my dealership so that they can fix the issue.
Good find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2015 WRX.. Basically what's happening is the vents in the trunk are not properly closing causing exhaust fumes to leak into the cabin. I found a service bulletin on how to fix it ( 12-231-18R Subaru Technical Service Bulletin ). I will be making an appointment with my dealership so that they can fix the issue.
Good find but probably some other issue as well on later models. Just checked my vents, not stuck open.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts