ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big fan of the tanabe concept g blue but it says cat delete so i assume its illegal in nj. Also Does anyone know any good stage 2 legal set ups ? Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
I am a big fan of the tanabe concept g blue but it says cat delete so i assume its illegal in nj. Also Does anyone know any good stage 2 legal set ups ? Thanks
For the most part non of them all. It's usually illegal to modify the exhaust to enhance the sound at all and the Fed's have some regulation about replacing, touching, or even looking at a factory installed CAT until it's well into it's life expectancy.

Now if you are asking what will pass a quick visual inspection along with emissions then just about any catted DP along with EM will do. Helix, invidia, and Cobb all make catted downpipes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
isnt the perrin down pipe legal in 48 states? i believe thats what i read awhile ago. i think its like one of the only legal replacements other than damaging yours and getting a shop to get you a new stock d/p.. but i could be wrong

·
Registered
273 Posts
what 302 said is correct, it is illegal to mess with a cat. The only exceptions are if the cats are damaged or non-functional. You'll have a hard time convincing anyone that a several year old cat is non-functional. What you need to consider are the emissions programs in your state. For example, here in maryland we don't have any awd rollers, so as long as you don't have any cel codes you're fine. There's always the visual inspection, but many people don't know what to look for. There are several threads on different state emissions both here and on nausiac so do a search and see what applies to you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If your factory catalysts are tired, broken or missing PERRIN™ now offers a replacement catalytic converter that is approved for all states that do not require CARB approval..
so as long as your not required for a CARB its approved been said 49 state approval.. its a bit more expensive but can work with no probs as long as it fits your emmission testing...

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
All depends on the state. Here in MA they hook up to your OBDII port to test your emissions every 2 years. A lot of states still do the tailpipe test.

But to answer your overall question, it's against federal law to remove any catalytic converter from your exhaust system.

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts
buy catless... your car will run better.

When you need the cats, put th original exhaust back on... piece of cake.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had a friends who have a gutted cats and catless exhausts and passed emmisons they said before they went for inspection they pushed the SH** out of there cars so when they got to emmisions the carbon had been cleared out the car for a little while but imi pretty sure that in all states catless is illegal and gutting cats definitly is too, what i recomend is going catless its better for performance

·
Registered
417 Posts
All depends on the state. Here in MA they hook up to your OBDII port to test your emissions every 2 years. A lot of states still do the tailpipe test.

But to answer your overall question, it's against federal law to remove any catalytic converter from your exhaust system.
You can get a censor that deletes your cel from taking out your cat. And if they use the obd11 port then it should read that your cat is still installed, im pretty sure....correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
417 Posts
i have it good where i live, i know the ppl that do inspections. My first car was a 91 acura integra rs hatch. The starter burned out after driving the car about 1/8th of a mile from where i bought it...from then on i had to put my car in 2nd, and get a buddy of mine to push while i popped the clutch to start it. The exhaust broke off at a Red Light....embarrasing....so my exhaust was cut off at the passenger door......AND I STILL PASSED. I just told her not to kill the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts