ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 Weeks ago I got new tires put on,Toyo proxes 4. Anyways I was looking at my tires to see how they are wearing and noticed on the right front from the center to the outer edge the tread lookes like its getting scrubed . Like the tread is developing a lip going out toward the outer edge of the tire . This is only from the center tire tread out . What does this indicate???

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
i would have to look at it to know more, but outer wear is often caused by too much negative camber, but that is just the outside... maybe its a combination of things. Overinflation maybe? That causes wear to the middle of the tread. excessive toe in may be a culprit as well.

just get a 4 wheel alignment and you will know for sure, but you can check the tire pressure... make sure its a bit under the MAX tire pressure to account for the tire heating up when driven. 5psi under MAX is usually good for me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so my specs were
LF-0.04 camber 0.05 toe RF-0.5 camber -0.07 toe

LR-1.3 camber -0.14 toe RR -1.4 camber 0.13 toe

after

LF-0.5 camber -0.02 toe RF-0.5 camber -0.01 toe

LR-1.4 camber -0.03 toe RR -1.4 camber 0.02 toe

So my question is how is it that my right front tire is the one getting chewed up. It had shreds of rubber coming off the 2nd row of outer tread ???

·
Registered
888 Posts
SonicYellowWRX said:
i would have to look at it to know more, but outer wear is often caused by too much negative camber, but that is just the outside... maybe its a combination of things. Overinflation maybe? That causes wear to the middle of the tread. excessive toe in may be a culprit as well.
Outer wear is not caused by excessive negative camber. If you have too much negative camber you'll get more wear on the inside. In either case toe is usually more damaging to a tire than camber.

The only time I've seen excessive wear on the outer half of my tires was after a track day. Unless you've done some track time or lots of auto-x on these tires or just drive like a maniac I'd say its got to be an alignment issue, a mounting issue, or a defective tire.

How long ago did you get that alignment done? If it was long enough ago or you've hit a curb or pothole or something it may be out of alignment now, but with that alignment you should be fine for tire wear. Did you notice any abnormal wear on the tires you had before the Toyos? If its only happened since the new tires were put on I'd take the car to the place where you got the tires and show them whats happening. Have you checked the lugnuts to see if they're torqued properly? Are you noticing any weird vibrations with the new tires?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
04subarooooWRX said:
ok so my specs were
LF-0.04 camber 0.05 toe RF-0.5 camber -0.07 toe

LR-1.3 camber -0.14 toe RR -1.4 camber 0.13 toe

after

LF-0.5 camber -0.02 toe RF-0.5 camber -0.01 toe

LR-1.4 camber -0.03 toe RR -1.4 camber 0.02 toe

So my question is how is it that my right front tire is the one getting chewed up. It had shreds of rubber coming off the 2nd row of outer tread ???
from the readings, your right toe had excessive toe out... toe is the angle of the wheel relative to the straight centerline of the car. toe should be toe in because when the car gets moving, the wheels have a natural tendency to move outward, thus becoming straight when moving. So, sitting still its wheels should like this from a top down view /====\ and upon movement it straightens like this |====|. Your problem was it was like this /====| standing still and like this moving |====/, thus the tire was dragging sideways.

EDIT: to say this is just a rough explanation to answer his question, not a tech article... so for those of you who like to nit pick, just chill!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Toe out will cause the inside of the tire to wear, not the outside.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Your current alignment specs are spot on- definitely not your alignment (even your before settings aren't that out of whack).

How long ago did you get your alignment done? It's possible your toe settings have gone awry. Rotate your tires front to rear and I'd reccomend another alignment- maybe the shop will do it for free after looking at your tire.

Good luck.

Big Sky

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Big Sky WRX said:
Your current alignment specs are spot on- definitely not your alignment (even your before settings aren't that out of whack).

How long ago did you get your alignment done? It's possible your toe settings have gone awry. Rotate your tires front to rear and I'd reccomend another alignment- maybe the shop will do it for free after looking at your tire.

Good luck.

Big Sky
I just had the alignment done yesterday so the before alignment was pre yesterday. I put roughly 1200 miles on the tires in like 2 weeks. They rotated the tires frot to back so im gonna find out if it was the alignment in a few days . Im gonna see if the tire starts shredding again. the only setting that was really off was the rear tow left was -.14 deg and right was +.13 deg oh and it has been roughly 16k miles since my last alignment. I didnt get it done when the tires were put on .

Oh on a side note I have always complained about the way the car rides on the highway since day 1 has felt like my car gets blown around very easily even when its not verry windy. Its seems to feel better after this most recent alignment but Its only been 1 day so I dunno if thats all it was.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
04subarooooWRX said:
I just had the alignment done yesterday so the before alignment was pre yesterday. I put roughly 1200 miles on the tires in like 2 weeks. They rotated the tires frot to back so im gonna find out if it was the alignment in a few days . Im gonna see if the tire starts shredding again. the only setting that was really off was the rear tow left was -.14 deg and right was +.13 deg oh and it has been roughly 16k miles since my last alignment. I didnt get it done when the tires were put on .
OK- your current alignment is very good. The "old" one up front wasn't too off- not off enough to explain the tire wear your describing anyways, the rears you had toe out on one side and toe in the other- not the best combination;)

Big Sky

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So do you think maybee the excessive toe in and out was causing me to correct more while driving esentialy causing the front alignment to get out of wack off and on????

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
04subarooooWRX said:
So do you think maybee the excessive toe in and out was causing me to correct more while driving esentialy causing the front alignment to get out of wack off and on????
It's possible the rear settings could impact the front tires, but you'd think you'd have seen impact at the rear as well.

Big Sky

·
Registered
888 Posts
04subarooooWRX said:
ok so say the problem doesnt go away what the next thing to check?? Oh and the old re92 were feathering since day 1
Were all of the RE-92s feathering or just the one on the right front? Do you have any pictures of what the tires look like? Do the struts seem like they're ok?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I remember the front were feathering and I think the right side was worse, they did last 32k miles ended up getting worn out on the inside.I cant tell if the struts are bad or not , Im not sure about the struts. One thing that I notice alot is the car isnt that stable at higher speeds. Its feels alot like the wind moves thar around alot , even when going slow when its windy I can feel the car getting pushed. Another thing i noticed is that when im driving on a uneven road the car will pull toward the directon of the uneven surface like the steering wheel will jerk.Is this normal with the WRX. Oh and if im turning the steering wheel really fast and it reaches the end of the rotation it will bang really hard is that normal??

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so after 2 days It apears the tire wear is still hapening. Im gonna keep an eye on it but the same wear seems to be developing on the right front tire. What should I do next???

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
04subarooooWRX said:
ok so after 2 days It apears the tire wear is still hapening. Im gonna keep an eye on it but the same wear seems to be developing on the right front tire. What should I do next???
Take it back to the alignment shop and show them the wearand see what they suggest. The alignment obviously isn't the problem. It's posible you have "tweaked" something on the front right- control arm, strut, other.

Did they take a SAI reading, if so could you post those numbers up- they can can sometimes point to problems. Also point up your camber numbers l/r, out of spec numbers here can also point to potential problems.

Big Sky

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I noticed 1 thing thats kinda stange. When making a left hand u-turn or just turning aroung lke parking or whatever the front right front wheel seems to tighten , kinda like when driving a 4x4 on the pavement. maybee when I do u turns its causing more friction on the tires and is causing this wear????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts