Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey, i drive a 2018 Subaru WRX and recently started having this strange noise coming from my engine bay. it started happening after i did a launch and heard a bang. it makes the noise when only at full open throttle and sounds like something is hitting against something i also noticed that i’m not getting full boost maxing out at 18 instead of 21. the noise doesn’t occur when cruising or idling, the only thing i’ve done to my car is
-Cobb intake
-Tomei exhaust
-grimspeed Jpipe
-Cobb accessport Stage 2+ tune
-Stage 2 clutch from Clutchmasters
would anyone happen to know anything about my situation or have an idea what’s wrong.

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
Why does the car have a "stage 2" clutch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was recommended to me by MAperformance due to me wanting to push more power later on. also was a last minute decision because my stock clutch went out on me and needed a new one right away.

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
Who did the work?

The advice by MAPerformance is poorly received by me. That type of clutch is unnecessary for your mods and will only put more stress on the weak link in your car -- the transmission. Poor advice. Doesn't help me to build respect in that company (my impression was already quite poor).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A shop my buddy found for me. the car drives fine with the stage 2 clutch. launching the car with clutch is a little iffy spin tires a lot more but that’s because i need better tires i’m still kinda new to the whole car modifying scene and this my first car i started modding so i don’t have much knowledge on what mods i should be getting first i’m just going by what’s recommended to me and all.

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
I'm with zax. The clutch is unnecessary, but you already have it.

I'm guessing you blew a something loose in the intake post turbo.

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
Could be numerous things.

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
You seem like you are taking shots in the dark here and may not be mechanically savvy.

I would recommend that you take the car to a professional that specializes in this platform. The internet is a place full of bad advice written by people with zero liability like me and also MAPerformance.

Since you are neither asking specific questions nor seem to know where to start, that's an indication that you may be in over your head. Don't take this the wrong way, but one misstep you are are stuck with a 3500lb paper weight. Given that the vehicle is very new, that seems like a bad decision.

Reactions: CoolMike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Keyboard warriors all over here I swear. I would have someone who knows about cars/subies in general and see if they see anything

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
Keyboard warriors all over here I swear. I would have someone who knows about cars/subies in general and see if they see anything
Yeah experience means nothing. If you are not happy you don't have to visit. Maperformance has a history of dubious work that caters to imbeciles. Hey, that hellaflush dude on reddit said they are rad though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah experience means nothing. If you are not happy you don't have to visit. Maperformance has a history of dubious work that caters to imbeciles. Hey, that hellaflush dude on reddit said they are rad though.
You’re probably right about MAperformance but all dude is trying to do is ask for advice not sarcasm. Not everyone knows everyone here on first name basis, I certainly don’t I reply to threads Iread and find interesting from emails this site sends me but the same exact guys I see and they know who they are that reply to every single post like this is a job doesn’t mean to be rude. Just steer the guy in the right direction. And in this case yes experience does account for something when he’s hearing something going on with his car and can’t figure it out. Unless you wanna drive and meet with him? You seem friendly enough no? 🤔

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
You’re probably right about MAperformance but all dude is trying to do is ask for advice not sarcasm. Not everyone knows everyone here on first name basis, I certainly don’t I reply to threads Iread and find interesting from emails this site sends me but the same exact guys I see and they know who they are that reply to every single post like this is a job doesn’t mean to be rude. Just steer the guy in the right direction. And in this case yes experience does account for something when he’s hearing something going on with his car and can’t figure it out. Unless you wanna drive and meet with him? You seem friendly enough no? 🤔
A forum is not modern social media. They have not, and will not cater to poor modification paths on platforms where its been long worked out. The people that frequent them offer advice to get you the BEST possible outcome for your money. Not the most rad wing having fire farting shitbox around. This vehicle should have never had that clutch offered to the owner and it was bad taste of Maperformance. It could also be related.

Nobody here is rude. Direct does not mean rude.

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
If you want to be coddled, go somewhere else.

I wasn't coddled, and neither should the OP.

We do this for free. I help people efficiently without beating around the bush. You want to help in a different way? Stick around and be productive. Otherwise drop your white knight BS. If it seems like I don't have any patience for you, you are correct.

Reactions: Calhouligan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Depending on your perception of the bang sound, and the fact you see engine oil.....stop driving it. Don't start the engine. Save the heads if you can. I had a similar situation and kept driving....

·
Registered
47 Posts
It might start machine gunning soon...I hope not man. Good luck
I can't say you are wrong in the way you see things, but you aren't right. I've never met a good tech/tuner/ mechanic that dident ask questions and I've never met a good one that dident give you a suggestion on the next best step......in my opinion, you have feelings that are unwarranted, and wrong. You are hurt because you ain't too much on the fixin side of things.....anything is possible if you don't know what you are about, it seems....don't get offended when people with experience answer questions and you don't understand the answers....stop the hurt and learn

1 - 17 of 17 Posts