Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I'm not much of a car guy, but I have a problem the dealership can't figure out, so I'm hoping someone here might have a suggestion that might help me out.

Last year I bought a 2016 WRX, and learned to drive stick. It's been great. I've done all the dealership regular maintenance on it, and everything.

A few months ago, I started hearing a noise. It happens when I'm at a dead stop, in first gear, give it some gas, and start releasing the clutch to accelerate. It sounds like something is rubbing. I'm not sure, but the fact that it happens exactly when I'm releasing the clutch suggests that it's related to the clutch. It doesn't happen every time, but very, very frequently. It's fairly loud. Not crazy loud, but definitely easy to hear when it happens.

I took it to the dealership, and they said they tried driving it, but don't hear anything. I also tried demonstrating it to some friends that are more car-savvy than I am, but it never seems to happen when I want it to, so they didn't hear anything either.

Is there anything I can do to get to the bottom of this before it breaks down in the middle of winter, or some other inconvenient time? It kind of sucks that my new car is having an unknown problem that I can't seem to get to the bottom of.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
Could be a throw out bearing. They have a habit of going to crap quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any way for me to confirm, or eliminate the possibility? I have no idea what that is, what it's supposed to do, or how to tell if that's the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure if a throw out bearing is the same as a throwout pivot bracket shown here:
, but the problem in the video looks very different from mine. In the video, he is in neutral, and it makes a noise. Mine does NOT make a noise in neutral. It only makes noise when I release it in first gear enough to make contact, and start catching. That makes it very difficult to have the hood up, and listen for anything, as the car basically needs to be moving to reproduce the noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts