Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm pretty new here, been creeping for awhile while I decided if I was gonna get a wrx or not. Got a good deal on a 2016 WRX in March since my fiancée was also looking to get herself an Impreza. So fast forward to now and I made the choice to spend the money and get an accessport, I previously had a Focus ST that was tuned and it was just so much better! So I saw that MAPerformance offered the accessport and it came with their off the shelf tune which seemed to be just a little more fine tuned. I went with them, got the accessport, figured out how to load everything up etc and promptly plugged it in and flashed the car. For a reference point my car shows that my overall mpg since I've gotten it has been about 29mpg. I know they aren't particularly accurate but it's a reference point to watch for changes for me. So I run to a deli for food before work and taking off the car feels a bit sluggish. It's also showing that I'm getting abysmal mpg at the moment. So I get there, get food, go back home. Still, kinda sluggish, low mpg. Two hours later I go to work which is roughly the same distance and almost same route as the deli. More pronounced power, and mpg showing much higher than before and even higher than normal. So I'm just curious (sorry for such a long post for a short question) but was the low power and terrible mpg an anomaly due to the car having just been flashed and the ecu reset?

· Super Moderator
3,438 Posts
Whenever you reset your ecu, or flash a new map, the ecu has to relearn everything. I have experienced some stumble, car almost stalling, and hesitation for usually a few hours of driving before the ecu learns the new map and everything smooth's out.

Not sure if you are using your accessport gauges, but try using the following gauges on the AP and monitor them: Boost, AFR, fine knock learning, feedback knock, and DAM. My guess is that this is normal, and just the ecu learning everything. But if the issue continues, contact MAPerformance and see if they would take a look at some datalogs for you and possibly sent you a revisioned map if needed.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay so it does seem like it's the ecu relearning. I'm new to Subarus as whole so I'm probaboy more... Aware, I guess, of abnormalities. I did use the gauges, I only had 3 showing and it was afr, feedback knock, and boost and although I'm no expert everything seemed to come back good, there was no knock and boost seemed fine. With the ST I never had it feel sluggish, well except for a totally different issue, after flashing it but it was also harder to tell since the tuned map felt more like the 16 WRXs stock map, sudden boost build with a rush of low end torque and boy was that a torque monster. Ill just keep monitoring everything and make sure it's all operating within safe parameters, thanks for the confirmation though that this seems entirely normal!

· Super Moderator
3,438 Posts
Yup, I would say all is normal. Run the gauges I mentioned; boost should obviously be hitting with +/- 2 psi of the target boost for the map; AFR should be between 14.20 and 14.80 at idle, 11.01-11.05 WOT, and anywhere from 18.50 to 22.00 when in gear and coasting; fine knock learning should stay at 0.00 but seeing -1.40 is considered normal; Feedback knock should also stay at 0.00, and again -1.40 is considered normal; And finally your DAM should always stay at 1.000.

I wouldn't worry too much. Again, sounds like all is normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.