ClubWRX Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Actually on my 04 i was running 3" ebay up and dp(bellmouth) hooked into an HKS hi-power catback. Loud-definately, annoying-not so much. There weren't any cats with 1 resonator through to a massive tip. I liked it, the cops on the other hand, did not.

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
Actually on my 04 i was running 3" ebay up and dp(bellmouth) hooked into an HKS hi-power catback. Loud-definately, annoying-not so much. There weren't any cats with 1 resonator through to a massive tip. I liked it, the cops on the other hand, did not.
That is a loud catback... real effing loud...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can't deny it wasn't loud, but it was amazing. There was that sweet spot once you really got into the revs where everything kinda blended together. Almost worth the fines....almost:wiggles:

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
I can't deny it wasn't loud, but it was amazing. There was that sweet spot once you really got into the revs where everything kinda blended together. Almost worth the fines....almost:wiggles:
I absolutely love mine. It's loud, but doesn't drone... and even when I lived in southern california I never had any hell from cops. All the time fellow subaru owners will ask what brand it is because it's such a different sounding exhaust than anyone has ever heard, and they love it! :wiggles:

·
Registered
25 Posts
ok, perhaps my point was taken in a much different light than i had intended...
I realize now that just cutting your stock exhaust up and welding in straight pipes where the mufflers go would sound strange and raspy and would be terrible on a New car. However it has been through my research that i have found that, a good custom 3" straight pipe exhaust from either the cat or an aftermarket dp, back would sound (if you don't mind loud) good. AND i have also concluded that, an ever safer route to go would be to simply add a straight through resonator either at the end, (such as either of the n1 exhausts) which looks ricey, or in the middle, where you can have a nice chrome tip on the end and johnny law wouldn't be any the wiser. While still maintaing that nice boxer burble.

So on that note, thanks for the advice guys.
I've been thinking about a straight pipe on my 02 bugeye wagon! I personally love the sounds from some of the youtube videos I've watched...and in combination with my catless downpipe...uppipe...18g turbo and TGV deletes my car is gonna sound MEAN! just the way I like it...so I already have a megan racing 3in turbo exhaust with 4in tip...I've taken the silencer out of the muffler tip...can I just cut out the cat and weld a 3in pipe in place of that..retune the car and bam! Good to go?

·
10,511 Posts
I've been thinking about a straight pipe on my 02 bugeye wagon! I personally love the sounds from some of the youtube videos I've watched...and in combination with my catless downpipe...uppipe...18g turbo and TGV deletes my car is gonna sound MEAN! just the way I like it...so I already have a megan racing 3in turbo exhaust with 4in tip...I've taken the silencer out of the muffler tip...can I just cut out the cat and weld a 3in pipe in place of that..retune the car and bam! Good to go?
Mean? No. Teen angsty and poor? Yes.

·
10,511 Posts
They do...when you strip them down and race them on the track...they cant offer it on street because of emissions and regulations...duhh
Nothing past the cat has anything to do with emissions. The existence of one in the straight pipe doesn't make it sound profoundly different. as far as on the track. A straight pipe doesn't make you faster. My local strip banned wankel straight pipes because they are annoying as crap.

It really boggles my mind the completely asinine modifications people do to vehicles then bitch about reliability and quality

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nothing past the cat has anything to do with emissions. The existence of one in the straight pipe doesn't make it sound profoundly different. as far as on the track. A straight pipe doesn't make you faster. My local strip banned wankel straight pipes because they are annoying as crap.

It really boggles my mind the completely asinine modifications people do to vehicles then bitch about reliability and quality
It wouldn't be a straight pipe if it had a cat in it! And with the proper tune your gonna get more power from a straight pipe because of less restrictions

·
Æternum
15,163 Posts
21 - 34 of 34 Posts