ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i just bought my 08 wrx hatch a few weeks ago. I recently went to a subie meet in my area and met a few people that had older sti's and wrx's that had simply gone the straight pipe route. After hearing how their cars sounded i decided that that really appealed to me and i was just curious if anyone could give me their opinion on the mater, (what size piping, how to have it done, ect.). Now i am not going to be getting a dp anytime soon, and i will leave the cats alone till way later on. I just want some serious obnoxious boxer rumble for a while that won't get too pricey. So i am considering just starting with the rear muffler and if thats not loud enough remove the center resonator. And the way ide like to do it is flange all my connections so i can put it all back to stock quiet if i choose to later on.
Anyone running straight piped on a 3g hatch? Input?
Thanks guys!

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
1,274 Posts
Dumb.... just plain dumb.

Just buy a nice, healthy sounding catback exhaust if you're not ready for a DP or a cat delete.

Straightpiping the muffler does NOTHING for your performance..... and it just makes the car LOUD and obnoxious.... not healthy sounding.

"Hey everyone.... BBBWWWWAAAAAAA..... PSSSSHHHHH...... BBBWWAAAAAAA.... pop.... pop..... pop...... look at me!! I'm an A-hole who cut my muffler off."

Especially on a brand new car man..... don't do that.... seriously.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dude... are you kidding me???
Im sorry, but if you think that a properly tuned subaru with a custom 3" straight pipe exhaust makes me sound like how you so eloquently put it... an "*******" than i apologize for even asking Your opinion sir.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There's a video out on Youtube, where a guy put a 3 in (I think) on his WRX. It looks like a potato launcher underneath his car. It's pretty loud, and I wouldn't be able to handle and drive, especially long ones, considering how loud it is.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Straightpiping the muffler does NOTHING for your performance
He said nothing of getting performance...

I just want some serious obnoxious boxer rumble for a while that won't get too pricey.
..... and it just makes the car LOUD and obnoxious
Looks like thats what he wants then.

Find a local shop that does neat/reliable welding and you're good. Can't really mess up making straight pipes...

As for the flanges, your best bet is to have someone cut a muffler w/ the necessary flange and weld it onto the "muffer" end.

·
Banned
2,054 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with ninefourteener. Several things about straightpipes irk me. They sound terrible, are too loud, and are a waste on a practically new car. You don't drive an '88 IROC Z. ;)

That's my opinion at least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, perhaps my point was taken in a much different light than i had intended...
I realize now that just cutting your stock exhaust up and welding in straight pipes where the mufflers go would sound strange and raspy and would be terrible on a New car. However it has been through my research that i have found that, a good custom 3" straight pipe exhaust from either the cat or an aftermarket dp, back would sound (if you don't mind loud) good. AND i have also concluded that, an ever safer route to go would be to simply add a straight through resonator either at the end, (such as either of the n1 exhausts) which looks ricey, or in the middle, where you can have a nice chrome tip on the end and johnny law wouldn't be any the wiser. While still maintaing that nice boxer burble.

So on that note, thanks for the advice guys.

·
Banned
2,054 Posts
I realize now that just cutting your stock exhaust up and welding in straight pipes where the mufflers go would sound strange and raspy and would be terrible on a New car. However it has been through my research that i have found that, a good custom 3" straight pipe exhaust from either the cat or an aftermarket dp, back would sound (if you don't mind loud) good.
And how exactly would one sound wonderful and the other bad if the only difference is volume and the whistle of the turbo?

Imprezas absolutely must have resonators and mufflers to sound good. They are what give the refined burble sound instead of the raspy mechanical sound.

Plus, you live in SoCal, an N1 exhaust or near any other large canister exhaust is going to give you the same problems that a straight pipe will with police. The best way about avoiding trouble is a stock looking exhaust that's not too loud.

·
1,274 Posts
dude... are you kidding me???
Im sorry, but if you think that a properly tuned subaru with a custom 3" straight pipe exhaust makes me sound like how you so eloquently put it... an "*******" than i apologize for even asking Your opinion sir.
Yea... I was messing with you.

Cut that sucker off.... Hell, just run an open downpipe..... dat shiz will sound tyte yo.

Get yo self a phat a$$ cold air intake, and a dual horn BOV, and yo ride will be straight up gansta. Crank up that MBC to like 24psi, you'll be runnin' 10s.

And an aluminum wing..... you gotz to keep all dat power on the ground somehow.

"Dude"... you want to screw up your brand new car and perpetuate the already existing negative riceburner image of Subaru drivers.... them by all means, start hacking..... "Sir". Hack-jobs like that are what makes my car more desirable and easier to sell when that time comes. If anyone tried to sell me a car with a muffler hacked off, I would literally, burst out laughing in their face. THAT is why people don't trust buying used WRXs.

You don't drive an '88 IROC Z. ;)
^^^ Awesome :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
You guys are really raggin on this dude! I took my 04 subie to a trustworthy exhaust shop when i got it, and had them custom make a nice 2.5" straight pipe (with hangers) from the axelback flange to the back.

It looks surprisingly non-crappy, though a cat back would've been better. Also i might add, there are some catbacks out there that sounded absolutely terrible in comparison to straight pipe. its not THAT loud. I ran it for a year and honestly thought it was a nice improvement compared to stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea... I was messing with you.

Cut that sucker off.... Hell, just run an open downpipe..... dat shiz will sound tyte yo.

Get yo self a phat a$$ cold air intake, and a dual horn BOV, and yo ride will be straight up gansta. Crank up that MBC to like 24psi, you'll be runnin' 10s.

And an aluminum wing..... you gotz to keep all dat power on the ground somehow.
Thanks a lot, i really appreciate how nice everyone is over here.

My lack in understanding why i am getting so hassled about this is ridiculous. Can i just point out that as i mentioned earlier about throwing a resonator in the muddle somewhere, is exactly the same a purchasing a $400 invidia n1, which is a straight piped exhaust with a can on the back.
So do you generalize every with one of those to be some dumb ass kid, as you stated above?

·
1,274 Posts
Who has the "Internet... Serious Business" image with the cat?? It would be appropriate here.:rotfl:

It isn't about being "nice", or "mean"... or whatever.

You asked for advice on a specific mod.... I provided my opinion, and so did other folks that know a lot more about Subarus than I do....... But then you still continue to argue about why it's a great idea to cut the muffler off your car.

So the question begs to be asked.... Why did you bother asking for advice in the first place?

I love these little cars........ and I'd never prejudge someone on their style of "taste". I don't like carbon fiber, wings, spraypainted wheels, blacked out headlights.... or really anything overtly "flashy"..... but they are personal taste, so I can't hold it against anyone. I've always been of the midset that so long as it is done "right", then by all means, go for it... its your car.

But cutting the muffler off the car to make it sound louder? That just goes way beyond bad personal taste, and I think you'll find that the only folks who really get any respect at all for doing a "mod" like that, are the guys with purpose-built racecars with well over $20 invested in their car.

But to take a bone stock WRX and cut the muffler off?? It just doesn't make any sense. It's in poor taste, with absolutely no value whatsoever, from any perspective. And, it decreases the value of your brand new car.

I'm telling you..... you will be MUCH happier with just a nice catback exhaust, with a performance muffler on it. If you want, you can go with something really loud... I believe the Invidia and the N1 exhausts are really loud (from what I read).... but regardless, ANYTHING is going to sound and look better than just cutting the muffler off.

If I were to see you at meet..... with no mods other than a hacked off muffler... the first thing I would think is:

"Wow.... he wanted to be noticed but couldn't afford an exhaust"

Just my opinion man..... no hard feelings..... and I certainly don't want to argue back and forth over something so insignificant. It's just my opinion, thats all..... you don't have to take my advice, nor anyone else's.... It's your car :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My '02 WRX used to be straight piped...for the most part. Invidia bellmouth DP (catless), Perrin UP (catless), 3" turbo back exhaust (catless, and resonator-less), to a Blitz NUR spec muffler. Sounded....alright at idle, but when it would drive at certain RPM's and WOT, it just sounded like ****. raspy, trashy, etc. I only changed it by adding a resonator were the cat usually is, about mid way down the car, and now it sounds good. 0 rasp, idle still sounds the same, but no more crappy sounding RPM areas, and WOT is like 1/3 the loudness it used to be. Sounds like a mean WRX is supposed to sound.
So if your wanting to go straight piped, stay with an open flow muffler and resonator at minimum.

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
This is getting pretty thin lately folks.

Be nice, especially to n00bs - it is what sets this great forum apart from NASI..

There isn't anything said in this thread that couldn't have been put nicely and been just as effective.

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
OP....

Even 700whp drag cars don't use a straight-pipe exhaust.

There is a pretty large dissension when it comes to "cheap" mods to our cars. That's probably one reason why you're getting a pretty large backlash.

I respect the fact that you're asking about it on here before actually getting a straight pipe.

I've had more than a couple friends with straight pipes, and every single one has ended up getting a quality turbo back exhaust. It's loud, and annoying, and a cop magnet. It sounds cool at first to some (like my buddies) but it grows old quick. And I mean quick...

·
Registered
1 Posts
if you have a sedan like me you can unbolt and remove the mufflers then cut the y pipe behind the weld just before the diameter shrinks and forks. The remaining pipe ends right below the rear diff. it's quieter than most aftermarket exhausts with the big factory resonator. 0 raspiness or popping. during deceleration in gear below 2500rpm it makes an amazingly deep smooth tone.

I'm not allowed to post links yet but search youtube for "beancooker WRX Straight Pipes" for a sound clip
he has just unbolted the 2 mufflers

cons:
/on WOT leaves a little lingering exhaust smell for a minute
/can't revert to stock exhaust without re-welding the Y pipe

you could have a muffler shop extend the pipe to the factory bumper mold. I may do this myself.

If you're like me and just bored waiting for some extra $ for a proper CBE go for it, it reminds you that you're not driving a camry with a hood scoop.

after all it's your car, nobody elses:wiggles:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts