Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exhaust

I'm going to have my local muffler shop put a 2.5 inch piece of pipe on my wagon with no muffler and a nice tip. Does anyone think I'll get a cel from this? My understanding is that, within reason, the less backpressure on a turbo car the better.

·
1,379 Posts
:eek: No muffler?!? I don't know about the CEL, but something tells me your local boys in blue won't be very happy with you...

You ARE kidding, right?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hehehehehe HAhahahaha

I hope you're kidding Jedi Mashturr. Oh boy...can we have pics of your in jail? :D Even if it is just for a few hours. :p

You're kidding right? No muffler = LOTS of NOISE
There's a Noise Ordanance in most cities...yours included. So you're not going to get very far. If you like noise...try a superTrapp :p

-LostLamb

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
A BAIC I-Club member called mexicanpizza, had a pipe like this made for his WRX. He used the stock downpipe, midpipe, cat, and bolted the straight pipe right up. It doesn't sound any louder than the Coffee Can mufflers like the HKS and the Blitz.

Also, another trend around here in the bay area, is to unbolt your exhaust right before the muffler, to produce better sound and more tourque:rolleyes: Ghetto muffler? This is also just as loud as a coffee can muffler.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I posted a thread about this a while back. It's not that loud. The muffler shop, if they're worth anything, will love to do it for you so they can hear the sound it makes. It's beautiful! Do it Jedi!!!! :D

Oh....and no CEL either ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
25k car with 5$ exhaust=priceless:D . support your local boys in blue day. i am getting the txs turbo back whens funds are in the bank.

·
895 Posts
LostLamb said:
Hehehehehe HAhahahaha

I hope you're kidding Jedi Mashturr. Oh boy...can we have pics of your in jail? :D Even if it is just for a few hours. :p

You're kidding right? No muffler = LOTS of NOISE
There's a Noise Ordanance in most cities...yours included. So you're not going to get very far. If you like noise...try a superTrapp :p

-LostLamb
its not that loud. the turbo muffles alot of the sound comming out of the engine.

with a NA car, unbolt the muffler and yes it will be alot louder

·
Registered
641 Posts
Penguinking said:

its not that loud. the turbo muffles alot of the sound comming out of the engine.

with a NA car, unbolt the muffler and yes it will be alot louder
Doh! You're right. I'm soo use to NA engines...unbolting a muffler and such...

You're right...the turbo does mute some of it...but it's still not what your local men in blue would consider "legal." :D

-LostLamb

·
Registered
416 Posts
I can personally attest to the fact that there will be NO CEL. I had the guys at meineke manufacture me a 2.5" exhaust with no muffler. It removed the two rear sections of the stock exhaust. One of the stipulations was that I MUST be able to replace the stock exhaust when ever I want. They created a flange almost identical to the stock flange that fits perfect.

IT SOUNDS AWESOME! It is not high pitched at all. It idles like a big V6 and at WOT has the signature boxer rumble. It really roars. I have had it on for a couple months and had NO problems with Po Po. I fully recommend this option. Did I mention that it only cost me about $115 bucks. That included a nice stainless steel 3" tip for $30. DO IT! You will thank yourself.

http://shop.ivalueinternet.com/bigexhaust/index.cfm/action/productdetail/product_id/515.htm

·
895 Posts
LostLamb said:

Doh! You're right. I'm soo use to NA engines...unbolting a muffler and such...

You're right...the turbo does mute some of it...but it's still not what your local men in blue would consider "legal." :D

-LostLamb
i wouldnt be caught w/o a muffler in cali if my life depended on it.

but in texas no one cares about exhaust - just look around and you'll see big ass pickups and trucks and SUVs with exhausts louder than a top fuel dragster ;) and the police don't give a :eek:

of course...i still don't want to push it any cause it IS illegal in texas at least to not have a muffler, i dunno about other states laws

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Penguinking said:

but in texas no one cares about exhaust - just look around and you'll see big ass pickups and trucks and SUVs with exhausts louder than a top fuel dragster ;) and the police don't give a :eek:
Same around here. If you don't live in a "truck" town it's hard to imagine how loud they get! And the cops don't care, whether there's laws or not doesn't matter everyone drives around that way...

-snowcat

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can personally attest to the fact that there will be NO CEL. I had the guys at meineke manufacture me a 2.5" exhaust with no muffler. It removed the two rear sections of the stock exhaust. One of the stipulations was that I MUST be able to replace the stock exhaust when ever I want. They created a flange almost identical to the stock flange that fits perfect.

IT SOUNDS AWESOME! It is not high pitched at all. It idles like a big V6 and at WOT has the signature boxer rumble. It really roars. I have had it on for a couple months and had NO problems with Po Po. I fully recommend this option. Did I mention that it only cost me about $115 bucks. That included a nice stainless steel 3" tip for $30. DO IT! You will thank yourself.
[\quote]

Hi campbell,
I'm going to Meineke today to see if they can customize a magnaflow muffle that I want to be installed on my WRX. I want the piping to be made of stainless. Is your piping stainless or regular alumunize steel? I'm just trying to guess how much they might charge me. I'm guessing it should be too much more then $100 to $150 due to the fact that they only need to make up a 4 to 5 foot piece to attach the midpipe to the muffler with 2 bends. Still need to find some 2.5" to 3" tips. dual 3" is going to look awsome :D

Later,
Andrew

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going for it- I'll make the appointment later today- they quoted me 110 dollars for the work- I'm not worried about tickets- see below...

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, and here's the tip I'll be using...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Police officer? Does that lil blue note on your cup holder say:
"If you are trying to steal me right now- let it be known I am a police officer and I will not rest until I hunt you down and shoot you in the face"??

That's what it would say if I was an officer.. Better than a club on the steering wheel, thats for sure!

Rick

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's a note my wife gave me before we got married- it says: "You Rock my world. I am going to Love you forever. Love, Suzy".

·
Registered
118 Posts
Man, I thought cute sh!t like that only happens in the movies....

My g/f doesnt do stuff like that :(

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Show her some examples of what a good g/f should do and let her know how you wish you had someone like that in your life- not in those words, just subtly- if you don't ask gor what you want, you won't get it.
Jim

·
Registered
118 Posts
jedimaster said:
Show her some examples of what a good g/f should do and let her know how you wish you had someone like that in your life- not in those words, just subtly- if you don't ask gor what you want, you won't get it.
Jim

Very true. Communication is the key, but shes a great, and awesome woman, she tells me how she feels without the posty notes :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts