Subaru WRX Forum banner

Stock WRX 0-60, 1/4?

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  WRX 
#1 ·
What does a stock WRX w/ the 4EAT run in the 1/4 and 0-60mph?

C&D did tests with the manual tranny, but no one did anything with the 4EAT?

#7 ·
Well, with perfect driving, people get 14.1-14.2 1/4 miles with a stock Rex and mid 5-second 0-60mph times. It appears that the auto tranny adds about a second to the 1/4 mile time and ~0.7 seconds to the 0-60mph time. I'm surprised the difference isn't more pronounced! Vive la AWD, I guess. :D

Very impressive for an auto, IMO.

#9 ·
How much of a time difference is their between an auto and mt?
A TON! If in doubt get the manual & you wont be dissapointed.
ran 14.2, with an up-pipe and an MBC in my auto
For comaprison my best was 14.09 stock w/ the manual :) We'll know in 10 days what I can do w/ the setup I have now.

#10 ·
The 4eat is slow as hell getting off the line. I miss my Spec V sooo much because of this (and ONLY because of this). I tried brake torquing but didn't have any luck.

I held down the brake and slowing brought the rpm to 2.5 k. It starts to bog and make a weird clanking noise above that. I let the brake go as I floor the car, but I can tell ANY difference than just to mash the pedal alone.

The 4eat is in seriouly need of a bottle for off the line. I can't stand the lag. Otherwise, I love the 4eat cuz my honey can drive it and rush hour is hellva better!

I'm very skeptical on the TC mod. Brake torquing doesn't work for me now and I'm not about to cough up 2 grand to prove myself wrong.

HELP!!! :mad:

#11 ·
You should be able to brake torque to 3000rpms with the stock TC. That will make a huge difference, compared to 2500. Learn how to vacuum lock your brakes -that should help. Combined with my MBC and up pipe, my 3000-3200 rpm brake torques allow me to launch with an instant 10psi of boost. This is enough to chirp the tires off the launch. Just be careful and don't destroy your tranny.

#12 ·
AsianWRX: how "slow" is the 4EAT WRX?

Right my Crown Vic launches off the line w/o any brake torquing - probably due to 285 ft-lbs at 3000 RPM w/ 3.55s in the back - but its 0-60 is limited to about low 8s and maybe high 7s.

off the line its a blast to drive, but lacks AWD.

Its the snow and mud that would ground my Crown Vic. A LOT of the members at our Crown Vic board think a Mustang GT or Cobra is a better deal for the $$ compared to a WRX or STi, but the fact is when its snowing out or raining really badly - the GT and Cobra are going to be garaged w/o a doubt. They wouldn't be able to handle more than 5" of snow w/o dedicated snow tires and even then they wouldn't handle unplowed roads.

I could learn stick just for the WRX or even the STi (but seeing how its a ltd prod. vehicle, dealerships are gonna jack up the price on that) but I'd do this only if the 4EAT is a POS that will break down over time or be a cause for headaches. If its a solid piece of machinery that would last me 100k-200k w/o overhauling - then I'm sold on that aspect.

#13 ·
TonyG: yeah I'm not really planning to drag race the WRX - I know powerbraking autos w/ Ford RWD/V8 vehicles can also hurt the tranny over time.
But a WRX would be no good to me if it rusts out in 3 years of NJ or NY winters or requires CV joint replacements/halfshaft replacements or constant drivetrain failures.

#14 ·
TonyG said:
You should be able to brake torque to 3000rpms with the stock TC. That will make a huge difference, compared to 2500. Learn how to vacuum lock your brakes -that should help. Combined with my MBC and up pipe, my 3000-3200 rpm brake torques allow me to launch with an instant 10psi of boost. This is enough to chirp the tires off the launch. Just be careful and don't destroy your tranny.
Tony-

How do you vacuum lock your brakes? I've read a couple of posts where ppl use the e-brakes too, do you recommend that? (Btw, I tried with the e brakes, didn't notice a difference either).

metroplex said:
AsianWRX: how "slow" is the 4EAT WRX?

Its the snow and mud that would ground my Crown Vic. A LOT of the members at our Crown Vic board think a Mustang GT or Cobra is a better deal for the $$ compared to a WRX or STi, but the fact is when its snowing out or raining really badly - the GT and Cobra are going to be garaged w/o a doubt. They wouldn't be able to handle more than 5" of snow w/o dedicated snow tires and even then they wouldn't handle unplowed roads.

I could learn stick just for the WRX or even the STi (but seeing how its a ltd prod. vehicle, dealerships are gonna jack up the price on that) but I'd do this only if the 4EAT is a POS that will break down over time or be a cause for headaches. If its a solid piece of machinery that would last me 100k-200k w/o overhauling - then I'm sold on that aspect.
The 4eat is fast, don't get me wrong. My last car was a 6-speed Spec V. its like night and day for me at the moment. I trade in my Spec V because of the snow and mud (and now tornado... j/k) in Kansas. The WRX BEGS for rain and snow. I love pushing this car against the environment!

I think the remedy for the 4eat is a 75 shot off the line until the turbo kicks in. I haven't bought in to the TC mod yet.

HOWEVER, I think the auto definitely has more potential than the 5-spd. I will get more consisent times and I don't have to worry about killing my clutch. I don't think I can handle dropping my clutch around 4-5k on a awd car constantly.....

Mark

#15 ·
Car is stopped. Put in Neutral. Rev to redline and release. As revs are coming down, step really hard on brake with left foot. You should feel the brake pedal touch the floor. If so, you did it right and your brakes are now vacuum locked. You are ready to brake torque. When you brake torque, do not do it for more than 5-7s, and let car cool down before you try it again. Also, use a tranny cooler and synthetic ATF, if you plan to do this regularly.

#16 ·
TonyG said:
Car is stopped. Put in Neutral. Rev to redline and release. As revs are coming down, step really hard on brake with left foot. You should feel the brake pedal touch the floor. If so, you did it right and your brakes are now vacuum locked. You are ready to brake torque. When you brake torque, do not do it for more than 5-7s, and let car cool down before you try it again. Also, use a tranny cooler and synthetic ATF, if you plan to do this regularly.
Tony-

Thanks man! This was very informative! I've been doing this wrong the whole time.... So this won't cause any complications if you do it once in awhile? What are some signs that you should look for if things are starting to go wrong doing it? :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.