ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am i the only person having bad luck with the stock wheels? we have 3 warped wheels from hitting small pot holes and the other day my fiance hit something on the highway and bent the wheel so far in that it hit the brake caliper and cracked causing a blow out. so does anyone else have bent wheel problems or does my fiance just need to learn how to drive. i'm planning on buying a set of 17's but i'm afraid they'll just get desroyed faster then the 16's.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,982 Posts
The stock wheels are quite light and quite strong, and the stock setup puts plenty of rubber between the rim and the road, so yes, I'd say if you go to 17s and they are not bombproof you'll be buying more than 4.

If the impact is enough to damage a stock wheel I'd look at the suspension too.

You might try 225/50/16s on the stockers, a bit wider. You might also try bombproof 16s, since you seem to drive on tank proving grounds routinely. Look at the rallyx fellows and see what they run, and find something in 16X7 or so if you want to stay 16 but move away from the stockers (older Impreza 16X7 wheels will also do).

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
I'd have to agree w/ SD_GR- the oem wheels are quite strong for cast wheels (and not terribly heavy @ ~ 16.3lbs). Your not going to get much stronger into you move into a rally type wheel- these will typically be in 15" for subaru fitment. 15" has the added "benefit" of more sidewall which would also help w/ rough roads.

In 16" the RS rims are as strong (and light) as the oem ones w/ the benefit of being 7" in width.

Big Sky

1 - 4 of 4 Posts