ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a couple quick questions on leaving the stock EGT probe installed on a catless uppipe. I have heard from a few people that it is not good to leave the probe installed on a catless uppipe because it could burn up over time, break off and suck up into your turbo, which will destroy the turbo of course. Right now I'm running a gutted OEM uppipe and the stock TD04 turbo. Is there a possibility of this happening or am I just being paraniod?

How many people are running the stock EGT probe in their catless uppipe (the probe doesn't have to be plugged in to the harness, I'm just curious on how many people still have them in their catless uppipe)? And how long has it been in the catless pipe?

I only ask because it is near impossible to get the probe out of the pipe while the pipe is installed on the car (I tried for two hour last night:mad: ) and I'm not about to take off the pipe if leaving the probe in won't hurt anything! Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well I have a catless up-pipe aswell and to the best of my knowledge removing the cat lowers egt and would lessen the chance of it burning up. I have also read just about every thread on this board and I don't remember reading anything about it.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
GIDDYupREX said:
Well I have a catless up-pipe aswell and to the best of my knowledge removing the cat lowers egt and would lessen the chance of it burning up. I have also read just about every thread on this board and I don't remember reading anything about it.
Thats all I have ever heard was "rumors" of it blowing out I wouldnt be concerned to leave mine in it with when I get around to putting in my gutted U/P.

Have you tried to spray the E.G.T sensor with liquid wrench?

Spray it on there and wait about an hour and go to Autozone and get the Sensor remover socket (has a split down the side) and put it on their with your socket wrench and give it some small/medium taps with a hammer and it should break loose from the threads (Po,boys impact wrench :) )

Go through the little plastic cover in the wheel well, You will see the E.G.T pokin right in your face and be able to slip the sensor socket right on there.

Shotgun

·
Registered
598 Posts
i have "heard" over at nasioc that with the '04s some people actually get higher EGTs with the cat removed. I have also "heard" that the sensor will eventually fail in a few thousand miles anyways so just remove it now.

from what i got from nasioc don't do an uppipe until you got a reflash or other enginemanagment first on an '04. so i plan on a accessport first and then an uppipe.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
WRXSleeper said:
i have "heard" over at nasioc...
Listening to nasioc can be bad for your health.

Originally posted by ShotgunTC88
Go through the little plastic cover in the wheel well, You will see the E.G.T pokin right in your face and be able to slip the sensor socket right on there.
That is the O2 sensor, the EGT is much higher up on the uppipe.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I had an extra probe that I cut the probe part off of and grinded it smooth. I then cut the wires under the heat wrap, installed a resistor and plugged it back in. looks like nothing was touched.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not to resurrect an old thread here...but this is something I'm also interested in.

What ever became of this? I came across another thread where a dude ran a decatted stock uppipe, with EGT and no resistor mod....and seemed to run fine.....

I've "heard" that the EGT is akin to a ticking timebomb in the uppipe....but then I've also heard that that a BOV will make my car stall, sputter, and shoot flames out the exhaust (none of which has happened).

A post was made prev. that having no cat means the EGT would see cooler temps and thus have less chance of mechanical failure (ignoring the CEL for a sec).

....and besides.....is the EGT seeing THAT much more air flow? I mean.....the quantity of exhaust gas flow that the EGT is being exposed to should be the same...as the turbo in both stock uppipe and decatted uppipe scenarios...would be putting out the same amt. of boost???? Spool may be earlier...fine...but the quantiy and speed of ex. gas flow should be similar.......????????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts