Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 wrx is on sti springs and stock struts (not done by me). The ride height is pretty low and the ride quality is terrible. It’s very stiff and hitting bumps gets old fast. Should I spend money on getting stock suspension back. Or just buy coilovers at that price point? I know a lot of people say coilovers ride like ****. But I’m guessing it can’t be that bad if you put them on a soft setting and keep the ride height on the higher side.

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
My 05 wrx is on sti springs and stock struts (not done by me). The ride height is pretty low and the ride quality is terrible. It’s very stiff and hitting bumps gets old fast. Should I spend money on getting stock suspension back. Or just buy coilovers at that price point? I know a lot of people say coilovers ride like ****. But I’m guessing it can’t be that bad if you put them on a soft setting and keep the ride height on the higher side.
Boy you'd be wrong. Cheap coilovers are impossible to surpass for crap ride unless you just rigid mount the suspension to the frame.

It's not just the horrible ride. It's the lack of quality, extremely short life, unstable ride height, iffy dampening where the dampers are often not matched well for the vehicle or the spring rate.

Just get koni yellows and some rce springs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boy you'd be wrong. Cheap coilovers are impossible to surpass for crap ride unless you just rigid mount the suspension to the frame.

It's not just the horrible ride. It's the lack of quality, extremely short life, unstable ride height, iffy dampening where the dampers are often not matched well for the vehicle or the spring rate.

Just get koni yellows and some rce springs
How would the koni yellow setup compare to stock? As far as stiffness and ride height.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went with Koni's and USDM Pink STI springs and not the RCE springs. For a DD after 10k miles I'm extremely happy with the ride and handling. Upgrade the sway bars and end links for even better results. The RCE springs may be better, but to be honest I took a leap of faith with the STI springs and they gave me a 20mm drop at all 4 corners and exactly what I wanted for a daily driver.

·
Æternum
15,471 Posts
I went with Koni's and USDM Pink STI springs and not the RCE springs. For a DD after 10k miles I'm extremely happy with the ride and handling. Upgrade the sway bars and end links for even better results. The RCE springs may be better, but to be honest I took a leap of faith with the STI springs and they gave me a 20mm drop at all 4 corners and exactly what I wanted for a daily driver.
It's a solid setup. Glad you're happy :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts