ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 12' WRX and havent had time yet to pick up a set of winter tires. That being said, here in CT we are expected a 1"-2" of snow this night it looks as though im going to driving right threw. I do have a few years of experience in the snow :thumbup: , but always on a dedicated winter/all season setup. Just wondering how bad are the stock summers in the snow?
Thanks

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Bad enough you shouldn't use them

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
I would much rather have proper snows on the wheels in an RWD or FWD car than summers on a AWD.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
I bought my wrx in nov of last year and drove through one MD winter on those summer tires. It was scary; I was slipping all over the place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do plan on buying snows lol. I have every intention on getting snows asap, i was just wondering what im in for tonight

·
Registered
133 Posts
They are terrible! I got my '11 in September and drove it home from work in that October storm we got here, and I was terrified- and I grew up in Syracuse and have tons of experience driving in the snow. I would be very hesitant to drive on those summers even in an inch of snow, it's honestly a big risk and I wouldn't want to bang up my car in the first week!

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
pray that there are no hill starts on your route. Leaving my neighborhood when I first got my wrx, with a couple inches on the ground was nearly impossible. I recommend 4-way flashers and 5mph lol

·
Registered
129 Posts
dont do it!!! The first year I had my car I thought 4 wheel drive no problem, Wrong!!! Have you ever gone out to get the mail or paper in your slippers in the winter time. I F up my rim from sliding in to a curb and beleive me I 'am a great driver in the winter. 29years of driving in Minnesota winters. *****good luck D

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
There is hardly any traction & it is near impossible to bring the car to a stop on the summers.

If there is any forecast of snow it is better to avoid driving on the stock tires.Many have tried & failed miserably.

·
Registered
610 Posts
There is hardly any traction & it is near impossible to bring the car to a stop on the summers.

If there is any forecast of snow it is better to avoid driving on the stock tires.Many have tried & failed miserably.
Just be careful, start in 2nd as others have said, and get those snow tires ASAP! I picked up my new car at night, the next morning we had a nasty little snow storm. That took the fun out of driving my new vehicle to work. I had all 4 wheels spinning trying to crawl up a steady incline in stop and go traffic. So in short it's possible, but not recommended.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Going straight is easy. Lol Definately dont understimate your speed in a turn because you will go sideways while still pointing straight ahead. I did, not fun

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks everyone for the info. any recommendations for a a set of resbonaly priced snows don't want all
seasons

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Blizzaks are extremely popular, but do have a bit of a price premium. I have Yokohama Ice Guards, and they've provided excellent traction in all manner of snowy and icey conditions. I have two seasons on them so far, and they've held up quite well. I think I paid around $580 for the Ice Guards mounted on steelies from a small local tire shop.

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
I like dunlop winter sports, I have used them for 3 winters...they are like 109 on tire rack ("special price")...general altimax and firestone winterforces are about 10-15 cheaper. all three are at least 8/10

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
pirelli sottozero w210 - they don't have reviews up for the new series II but the old ones were great and the price is hard to beat.One of the best for dry performance and still great in slippery stuff.

Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero

1 - 20 of 40 Posts