ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so last night around 11 me and 2 other friends were in my 2011 STI sedan, we are in NJ going down 35 in lavalette, we find a sandy road that runs parallel to the beach, and is the road all the beachfront houses are on. as we drive along, we find a vacant beach-front lot, my idiot friends of course challenge me to drive across the lot, and right up onto the beach. we all expected the car to whip rite across the sand, and sure enough, it did, first time ripped across the vacant lot, down the beach, looped around and back onto the road, went for round 2, and about halfway through, my car gets beached on sand lmao, all 4 tires spinning freely, took us 5 hours (we were stuck until about 4 am) and my friends ford F-150 raptor almost dug itself into a hole getting me out.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
sand is tough stuff, especially our beach sand. Particularly because it flows so well against itself, it's pretty easy to dig yourself in ruts and high-center yourself. You say that a raptor, a truck actually built for off-roading was having trouble. Your car is built for the street and light-duty track (and don't say that it's anything at all like those rally cars). The fact that you did that well is a testament to the AWD system.

Curious: what tires were you on?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Lesson learned: don't listen to your friends.

You're young with a very powerful car. Listening to your friends is an easy way to become another statistic. If that's the case (which I don't wish upon you), hopefully you're one who's able to walk away with everyone unharmed.

/lecture

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics or it didn't happen. ;) Also, pics of said Ford Raptor!?!
was too frantic to take pictures, remember im on a private beach that closes at 9, its was 11, and my car was going nowhere, i was too scared a cop was gunna rolll up and screw me over, actually one did come, he luckily let me go with nothing. and yea my 2 closest friends are real into quading and off-roading, ones got an F-150 Raptor, and the other has a 2500 dodge Power Wagon. to be honest power wagon would've been best because of the winch, but the raptor did almost get stuck because of the simple reason that no one has driven on that sand before, its a private beach so only people walk on it

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i learned my lesson, as shoved my hand under the side of my car trying to scrape the sand that was holding it in the air out from under it, i burned myself on the exhaust about 20-35 times, my hand is completely raw.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I drove my 05 Frontier with BFG A/T's and a rear locker on the beach in NC. It was a very different experience and I agree you can get into trouble pretty easily. I wouldn't dare take my car on the beach with the summer tire's and low ground clearance.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Driving on sand takes experience. Obviously you nor your friends knows how to do it. Or get somebody out. I would have had that car out in 15 minutes at most by myself. It's all about experience...

·
Registered
141 Posts
daytona beach is the only beach i would drive on. here is my redline when i was down there.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The only part of this that's REALLY getting me....is I'd hate to bring a brand new STi Limited, Which it must be if it's the sedan, onto a beach. Sand cannot be good for paint, and I seem to recall something about 2011 subaru's paint being pathetically easy to take off...

Wrangler with some nice fat floaty tires+side tread...that's the way on the beach. Top down, doesn't matter if sand gets inside the thing or on it...Seems like a good time to me

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Driving on sand takes experience. Obviously you nor your friends knows how to do it. Or get somebody out. I would have had that car out in 15 minutes at most by myself. It's all about experience...
how exactly would you have done that

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
how exactly would you have done that
First of all, it sounds like you buried it instead of stopping as soon as you started to lose grip. That would have been my first step.

My next step would've been to dig the sand out from in back of all 4 wheels, take out my floor mats and put them behind the wheels, locked the diff, put it in 1st and barely engaged the clutch, then slammed it into reverse really fast and rolled it right out of there.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looking at these pictures i was not on hard sand like that, i was on a private beach that closes to people at 8, and never are you aloud to take vehicles on it lol

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
looking at these pictures i was not on hard sand like that, i was on a private beach that closes to people at 8, and never are you aloud to take vehicles on it lol
yeah, jersey shore sand is pretty soft and flowy... it's nuts seeing the tires/treads of the vehicles that do drive around there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts