Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Rex for about 2 weeks now and I never noticed this until yesterday... Maybe it's always been there and I didn't pay attention to it.

Anyway, when it's in (any) gear, I can physically move the shifter forward and backward about 1/4" without touching the clutch. It almost feels like the shifter itself is loose. I know that there is some play in the stock shifter, but I don't know if it's supposed to be like this.

Is this normal and I just didn't notice it before, or is something screwed up?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
This is normal. The car has a real mechanical linkage(say rods and bushings) system such that vibrations are transcended to the shifter. Many other modern cars tend to use cable shifters that leave the shifter a little isolated from feedback.

As for pulling out of gear, this is possible in any car really......although it's best not done when you have really flooring it WOT. Actually some find it a useful tactic when really pushing it and coming down for a corner and about to double clutch. You effectively pull the shifter out of gear into neutral and blip then clutch in to slip it into the lower gear. However, most people who actually double clutch will slightly pump the clutch quickly while already having preloaded the slipping out of gear motion(ie as the original technique entails).

·
Registered
50 Posts
There's 3 bushings in that whole assembly. There's the "pivot" point on the shift lever, and there's the lower rod with the cup for the ball joint that connects at both the tranny and the tunnel. They're all rather high-compliance rubber bushings, and they flex alot. Seems perfectly normal to me. ;) Hence, the reason I got a Kartboy shifter with bushings. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would also like to say thanks for the info guys...i was kinda nervous...my shifter is, to me, all over the place, compared to my friends which is tight as shyt in her RS. it still concerns me a bit b/c i dont think it should be that bad, but im not as worried.

:D frederick:mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts