ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 02 wrx, the factory guages( I am assuming factory) in the center of the dash has three. first is boost, second is exhaust temp( I assume going into the turbo) and third is oil pressure. During idle the oil pressure sits at about thirty, as I drive it goes over 100 psi, the car runs fine, so I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and where I can start diagnosing it. It isn't causing problems, just annoying to me. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I DONOT have the OEM guages.

But my oil pressure sits at approx 25-30 PSI on idle (COLD) and rises to 90+ PSI on hot driving and sits there consistently on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I just bought an 02 wrx, the factory guages( I am assuming factory) in the center of the dash has three. first is boost, second is exhaust temp( I assume going into the turbo) and third is oil pressure. During idle the oil pressure sits at about thirty, as I drive it goes over 100 psi, the car runs fine, so I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and where I can start diagnosing it. It isn't causing problems, just annoying to me. Thanks
Normal.Oil pressure should be around 100 cold and at full warm up between 25-30 at idle depending on outside temps and increasing to between 80-100psi under full load.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a lot. This is my first turbo car and the 100 psi kind of scared me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue. But am being told by a Subie tuner in my area that it's not normal. My numbers are...
Cold start/idle: 80-90psi
Let idle to warm up for 10 min, coolant at operating temp, driving like a grandma (staying under 3k rpm) and staying out of boost: 110-115psi 😬
Warm/hot idle: 40psi
Warm/hot cruising @ 2k rpm: 87psi
Warm/hot cruising @ 3k rpm: 96psi
I was told this is really bad for seals and main bearings. Also that it's probably my oil pump pressure relief valve that's stuck closed. Meaning my oil pump needs to be replaced. 😔

1 - 5 of 5 Posts