ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone rigged their stock heat shield so that it can fit with a bellmouth d/p? if so what did you do. and step by step instructions would help..thanks.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I have mine laying on the floor of my room right now. I'm pretty sure you have to trim the metal to fit it over the bellmouth.

I am also interested to know if there is any danger to my car without the heatshield. It's been off for a month and no trouble so far.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
mine went right back on just like when the stock dp was there :confused:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no danger at all. if you are running TMIC then there is heat soak for sure. i just want to avoid heat soak and hide that nice looking stainless piping from law enforcement.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
you can just trim it down and just replace the upper section of the HS and youll be good to go. will look stock and save ya from some of the soak.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Just cut it with a dremel, you'll just go through some cut off disks, trust me :D Use the Fiber reinforced ones or you'll go mad :thumbup:

There is no danger as far as damage but if you are running a top mount, the heat soak is gonna be terrible. That is gonna affect your performance, reduce eveything your intercooler is trying to do and defeat the purpose of it.

Kessler, How did you do that? It is virtually impossible to use the stocker with a bellmouth without trimming it. and when you trim it, you need to take off quite a bit. You sure it is a bellmouth?

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
04silver bullet said:
Just cut it with a dremel, you'll just go through some cut off disks, trust me :D Use the Fiber reinforced ones or you'll go mad :thumbup:

There is no danger as far as damage but if you are running a top mount, the heat soak is gonna be terrible. That is gonna affect your performance, reduce eveything your intercooler is trying to do and defeat the purpose of it.

hmmm, i think im going to take a cutting torch to my heatshield this winter then

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
04silver bullet said:

Kessler, How did you do that? It is virtually impossible to use the stocker with a bellmouth without trimming it. and when you trim it, you need to take off quite a bit. You sure it is a bellmouth?
i completely disagree about the heat soak. the heat shield is just gonna get as hot as the air around the exhaust/dp anyways. then you have a peice of warm metal closer to your intercooler to warm it up. Without the heatshiled air can flow through the egine bay and down the along the exhaust and keep cool air going through the system. with the heat shield the air flow is more restricted from cooling the air around the exhaust.

Beleive it or not air is one of the best insulators

·
Registered
114 Posts
Blah, just tie wrap it..LOL!

I would imagine without a sheild you are going ot get more heat to the intercooler which is bad. I am gonna get a downpipe myself next weekend to complete my exhaust. I am sure there is a way to fab up something like a bracket you can make of bar stock and mount the heat sheild.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
i cut mine with regular metal cutters. Although it took me 1.5 hr to put two screws on to tie the heat shield because there were no more holes available. Oh, and i had bruises on my wrists for a bout 4 days. There is just not enough room to do it and really hard to line up the holes. :mad: But i finally did it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
its a tusudo bellmouth dp, got it off ebay for $145 SS and gets the job done for me ;)

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have HKS DP with no problem with the stock heatshield at all!!! :thumbup: :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kessler89 said:
its a tusudo bellmouth dp, got it off ebay for $145 SS and gets the job done for me ;)
i got that same bellmouth d/p off e-bay and the heat shield does not fit perfectly. did you install it yourself or did an installer rig it for you?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I can't see how people got the stock heat shield to work with a bellmouth downpipe. I have a Bosal and had to cut a nice little chunk out of it. Fitting it on my APS-SR40 was even more fun :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
I cut mine up and it fit back over my Cobb DP. Still has 3 bolts to hold it on too! Just had to trim it up along the rear and left side, curving down to allow that bolt hole on the back to stay.

I also have the Speedmonkey chimbley heatshield over it too, so it helps to vent the heat out the hood and away from the IC. :thumbup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
HERE is a divorce DP, a bellmouth takes a little more cutting but not much.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
<<wouldnt ever pay someone to work on my car, :D i put it on... it was kinda hard to get on but its on there and it's not rubbin anything... hmmm well the previous owner had a bellmouth on it also... mabye he modded it, never thought of that

·
Registered
476 Posts
With the heatshield back on, your #3 piston will run a little cooler, and your main cat (if you still have it) a little hotter. These are both good things. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts