ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My heads have a crack in them...

My tuner wants to send them out and get them machined and ported ...

should I do this or

should I get sti heads ? for my 2.5 block ?

If I go the first route what do you think is a fair price for new stock heads and all that machine work ?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I say STi's...you can get them off a guy on Nasioc for about 1800 for v8s and I think v7s for 1400, its going to cost you about that much for machine work to them...

Also, was this maybe the boost problem you were having?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think so because my compression test wouldnt have been so fu$%d if it were that...right ?

My stock heads machined and such wouldnt flow better then the v8 or v7's ?...

To get this done is around the same price...

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Well I figure you're getting better: valves (larger), valve springs, cams, ability to run avcs (and a 8500 rpm redline), shimless buckets and sti cam sprockets for about the same price as just getting a port and polish job, unless you get a valvetrain upgrade with that too?

·
Registered
253 Posts
i think it depends on what you are using. im having a set of ej20 heads ported and polished and they will absolutely outflow any sti heads. i payed 1300. but i dont know if they charge extra to fix the crack for you. plus you will not be able to run the AVCS on the jdm heads unless you have a jdm ecu. or are using jun cams or the like. as i hear you get cam walk and it is a tuning nightmare.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I vote for non cracked...:)

I went w/my stockers again...eh whatever. I just want my car back.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
MUAHAHAHAH AND THAT WAS YOUR FIRST MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I picked up one of the sets of v7 STi big port heads from Gruppe-S on Nasioc, now I have the advantage! lol, in all seriousness will, if/when you throw on the big power mods you might want to think about some performance valvetrain mods since that green will be struggling for air on a 2.5 block, but otherwise I can totally understand the "just gimme my damned car back" syndrome, I almost had it and was able to restrain myself long enough to order STi heads.

Was that the only problem with your car though? Faulty headcastings? If so, interesting that you had to change your block up...

~Tim

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In all reality josh the 18g isnt really that big...nor is the 340whp I will prolly make on pump gas...:D who knows what on a real race map....:D

But yeah I will probably upgrade the heads later and the block for that matter w/some forged this and forged that...

right now though I really cant afford it due to the fact that this was not a forseen issue...it never is though

the heads were cracked and the pistons blew up or something like that. The piston rings I think...eh.

Tim, you may rev higher but I will be a torquey mofo and we all know that torque wins races. :D

·
Registered
6,174 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just remember...what ever turbo you get I will make sure I get one that is bigger...

Mine will always be bigger then yours ;)

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Timdog1650 said:

I picked up one of the sets of v7 STi big port heads from Gruppe-S on Nasioc, now I have the advantage!

Yes. And as far as the turbo goes....well, let's just say that I won't show you all my cards at once :D

EDIT: I just realized what you meant by "stock" and yeah, they're just the out of the box v7's, no modifications...trying to keep it "slightly" reasonable cost-wise.

~Tim

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But arent those heads just heads w/out valves etc....not complete heads or are they ?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
13secwrx said:
But arent those heads just heads w/out valves etc....not complete heads or are they ?

Complete JDM STi v7 heads, they include the large port head casting, stronger sodium filled valves, shimless buckets, stiffer springs, more agressive cams, cam gears, everything. Can be run with AVCS if using a JDM ecu, but I wont be.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Timdog1650 said:
Can be run with AVCS if using a JDM ecu, but I wont be.
i hear that even with the avcs off it is still not optimal to run it w/out a jdm ecu and will be more difficult to tune. thats why i kept the stockers. if im wrong, then let me know whats up because i will stil have enough time to get the v7.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just went to gruppe s's website and I see i but they are $3500...:eek: ...I really dont have that kind of $$$$...right now. THe new stockers to go to the machine sthop and a all are only costing $1700...they may not flow nearly as well but they are much more affordable for me at this time. I will look into doing something w/my stockers though over the winter. Someone told me you can get vs7 or vs8's for like 1400...those must be just the heads. Well let's see what happens.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
13secwrx said:
I just went to gruppe s's website and I see i but they are $3500...:eek: ...I really dont have that kind of $$$$...right now. THe new stockers to go to the machine sthop and a all are only costing $1700...they may not flow nearly as well but they are much more affordable for me at this time. I will look into doing something w/my stockers though over the winter. Someone told me you can get vs7 or vs8's for like 1400...those must be just the heads. Well let's see what happens.
They were refering to used...mine have ~15,000 miles on them. If you order brand new heads from Subaru of Japan through gruppe-S, then it's 3500 like on their website, but in the nasioc engine performance vendor forums, there are usually 1500-2000 dollar complete heads for sale with less than 20k miles.

Used is the way to go!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts