ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
Most likely not.

The only time when the knock sensor kicks in, is when their is presence of knock.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
With a lack of knock, as Tan said, the ECU will simply run the most spark advance that it can. This cannot be changed without a Unichip or other ECU add-ons.

-Jim

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should clarify:

Does the ECU do minor timing advances untill it senses a knock from the sensors... Porsche does this, and you can add higher octane fuel and the Porsche ECU will "tune" itself... I was wondering if our cars did somthing simular.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the self tuneing feature uses both knock and the 5v O2 sensor .. to reach a target A/F and thus target emissions level..

its all about the emissiosn not the power

as far as 94+ octane, no

·
Registered
0 Posts
i run 93 w\ 17.5 in sec @ or 18.75 !!!!! 3rd and 4th w\ no nock:p if you gun it w\ low rpms cel is sure to happen

·
Registered
706 Posts
All I can find is 91...I have asked, called and done just about anything I can to find higher octane. What if I go buy some octane boost? Is that safe?

·
5,799 Posts
A Sinclair near where I work just started selling Sunoco 100. However, at ~$3.90/gal I won't be filling up with it. A few gallons for drag night only.

I normally fill up with 93.5, which is uncommon in Colorado as standard premium gas is 91 oxygenated.

-Pace

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
pace said:
A Sinclair near where I work just started selling Sunoco 100. However, at ~$3.90/gal I won't be filling up with it. A few gallons for drag night only.

I normally fill up with 93.5, which is uncommon in Colorado as standard premium gas is 91 oxygenated.

-Pace
where?? need good gas....must get gas.

and don't tell me to eat beans :D

·
5,799 Posts
100 octane is at the Sinclair at I-25 and Belleview in the tech center, on the east side of the interstate.

93.5 is at the PetroStop in Aurora where Quincy meets Parker Rd. It is cheaper than most places charge for 91.

I have a list of places that sell high octane gas in Denver. There are about 5 or 6 places. I will post it on the Southwest forum.

-Pace

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just switched from Sunoco 94 to Chevron 93 and my car runs way better on the Chevron gas. It may not be merely a metter of what octane rating is written on the outside of the gas pump.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Buy some Toulene at a paint store.

Put in a gallon w/ a tank.

Good to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts