Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much faster of a 0-60 or 1/4m does a WRX get from just the addition of an Electronic boost controller set to 15psi? how about 16psi?

I'd like to know cuz i have an EBC (not installed) right now and no money for anything else at the moment.

I'm having a problem even affording to pay for installation of it since I don't know anywhere around here that'll do it for a good price.

Anyways, a stock WRX goes about [email protected] and 0-60 in about 5.9 or so without killing the tranny right? Any idea how much just the EBC will help?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have heard that it can take .5 sec off your 1/4mile. Unfortunately, I haven't installed mine either. : (

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's ok i guess, not GREAT but good

know if it should help reduce turbo lag or anything or do you just need better piping for that?

btw: i should have mine installed pretty soon as my first mod, ill post an update with the results of how it fares as a solo mod

·
Registered
59 Posts
okay guys

its a BOOST controller...it controls the boost you put out from your turbo...It's not a wonder mod; but a damn good one if you got everything else to go with it...I think it's prob one of my favorites with all I've spent on my car..no it wont shave .5 sec off your 1/4 times...if it did..dont you think we'd be running 10s w/o any problems =)

Just turn up the boost to 15.5 psi then get an uppipe/downpipe then unichip/UTEC then upgrade your injectors pump and turbo then either get a TXS TMIC or Blitz FMIC and if you STILL need power just throw some nitrous into the mix

·
Registered
26 Posts
you will get a noticeable gain from an ebc. but the gains will be better after you eliminate some restrictions(ex. exhaust)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
dspeed said:
okay guys

its a BOOST controller...it controls the boost you put out from your turbo...It's not a wonder mod; but a damn good one if you got everything else to go with it...I think it's prob one of my favorites with all I've spent on my car..no it wont shave .5 sec off your 1/4 times...if it did..dont you think we'd be running 10s w/o any problems =)

Just turn up the boost to 15.5 psi then get an uppipe/downpipe then unichip/UTEC then upgrade your injectors pump and turbo then either get a TXS TMIC or Blitz FMIC and if you STILL need power just throw some nitrous into the mix
I agree with you on everything here except the part about upgrading the turbo, and THEN the intercooler. You should actually get the intercooler before getting the turbo since you won't be able to set your boost to it's highest efficient setting without a big enough intercooler.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I don't know about 0-60mph....but in the 1/4, stock WRXs run around 15.2-15.3 up here. I have an SBC-iD (nothing else) and I ran a 14.6. That's .6-.7 seconds off the 1/4 mile.

BTW....which EBC did you get? you can probably install it yourself without too much trouble.

·
Registered
59 Posts
WRXin' said:

I agree with you on everything here except the part about upgrading the turbo, and THEN the intercooler. You should actually get the intercooler before getting the turbo since you won't be able to set your boost to it's highest efficient setting without a big enough intercooler.
intercoolers are about $400 more than VF22s but $100 more than a VF30 and ~$400 less than a PE turbo =\ it's all a matter of what you want...I got my VF30 before I got my FMIC, I just ran it at 15 psi..even though I had all the other supporting mods, now that I have my FMIC, I run it at 17.5 =)

we can debate this forever WRXin' =P

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
dspeed said:

intercoolers are about $400 more than VF22s but $100 more than a VF30 and ~$400 less than a PE turbo =\ it's all a matter of what you want...I got my VF30 before I got my FMIC, I just ran it at 15 psi..even though I had all the other supporting mods, now that I have my FMIC, I run it at 17.5 =)

we can debate this forever WRXin' =P
I didn't mean to open up a can of worms. I was just voicing my perspective on things. I see what you're saying, but my point is that even if you get the bigger turbo, like you did, before the intercooler, you can't utilize it to its full potential until you upgrade the intercooler, which was the case in your situation. However, if you get the intercooler before the turbo, your stock turbo is running at it's highest efficiency level. For me, it's all about maximum utilization of your mods:D

It's pretty damn late right now...I hope I'm making sense. Anywho, let me know if you understand where I'm coming from.

·
Registered
59 Posts
WRXin' said:

I didn't mean to open up a can of worms. I was just voicing my perspective on things. I see what you're saying, but my point is that even if you get the bigger turbo, like you did, before the intercooler, you can't utilize it to its full potential until you upgrade the intercooler, which was the case in your situation. However, if you get the intercooler before the turbo, your stock turbo is running at it's highest efficiency level. For me, it's all about maximum utilization of your mods:D

It's pretty damn late right now...I hope I'm making sense. Anywho, let me know if you understand where I'm coming from.
yeah i get you; its damn early 6.00 a.m AGH haha I know as I said, its all a matter of personal choice. What are my apples, may seem like oranges to you and vice versa. I was just responding to your opinion with my reasoning.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
dspeed said:

yeah i get you; its damn early 6.00 a.m AGH haha I know as I said, its all a matter of personal choice. What are my apples, may seem like oranges to you and vice versa. I was just responding to your opinion with my reasoning.
It's all good:D Can you imagine our responses to each if we were two guys on i-club;)? Every other space would have been filled with profanity and flames. I love this forum:D

·
Registered
679 Posts
WRXin' said:

Plenty of people are making of 300whp with the stock IC and running high 11's (nitrous) or 12's with it as well. I would put the IC after the turbo. Something like: BC, full exhaust, fuel management (unichip/Utec, s-afc, standalone, etc) along with turbo, injectors, IC. That's just me though. That would be the best bang for the buck route while being safe. You CAN just bolt a VF22 to a stock car and crank the $hit out of the boost, but don't complain when you see the results :D

The ebc or mbc makes a huge difference. I went from 14.2 (consistanly 14.4 though) to consistant 13.8's. It definately helps spool up and top end.

·
Registered
59 Posts
TypeC said:

Plenty of people are making of 300whp with the stock IC and running high 11's (nitrous) or 12's with it as well. I would put the IC after the turbo. Something like: BC, full exhaust, fuel management (unichip/Utec, s-afc, standalone, etc) along with turbo, injectors, IC. That's just me though. That would be the best bang for the buck route while being safe. You CAN just bolt a VF22 to a stock car and crank the $hit out of the boost, but don't complain when you see the results :D

The ebc or mbc makes a huge difference. I went from 14.2 (consistanly 14.4 though) to consistant 13.8's. It definately helps spool up and top end.
See...TypeC added his basket of fruit to the table...(I analogize WAY to much). This is how I did it:

Uppipe/Downpipe + EBC = $1175
Unichip = $450
Injectors + Pump = $725
Turbo = $1150
Intercooler = $1000

now I'm making 315whp with a lot of tuning =)

Still waiting for my clutch to die so I can buy the exedy flywheel/clutch combo

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just asked about stock + ebc cuz i have no money and a friend gave me his APEXi AVC-R and a HKS Type1 TT and was wondering what I'll see. I have no idea what to expect really.

And I wouldn't want to install it myself cuz I'd feel better if I had it done professionally to keep it looking like a well-done job in case the dealer has any questions (I'd like to keep SOME warrantee at least :) ).

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
JimDab said:
I just asked about stock + ebc cuz i have no money and a friend gave me his APEXi AVC-R and a HKS Type1 TT and was wondering what I'll see. I have no idea what to expect really.

And I wouldn't want to install it myself cuz I'd feel better if I had it done professionally to keep it looking like a well-done job in case the dealer has any questions (I'd like to keep SOME warrantee at least :) ).
If you're thinking about keeping your warranty, you can forget about the BC. From what I know, it and an upgraded ECU or unichip will automatically void your warranty. I feel the same way about keeping my warranty, which is why I'm holding back on these things for a while.

Maybe you can try calling a dealership other than yours(so they won't know who you are), ask them about this stuff, and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
UGH!!!!!

Nothing can VOID your warranty!!! READ!

GRRRRRRR :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Well, remember that part of the problem is lawyer fees. Also remember that if you put in a boost controller an blow up your motor, it's gonna be awful easy for SOA to prove the aftermarket part caused the problem.

But yeah, if you spend enough on legal fees and fight it long enough, you'll probably win. Or you could just save your money and fix it yourself....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your track times are a little odd....I went to the track when I was 100% stock and I was able to get 14's. I just got a MBC and when I toss it on I'm hittin' up a track ASAP.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
djrez4 said:
UGH!!!!!

Nothing can VOID your warranty!!! READ!

GRRRRRRR :mad:
Do you need a hug!

I highly value pace's opinions and recomendations; however, I've learned in my product liability class that the manufacturer cannot be held liable for a product if it departs from its original spesification. Installing an ECU and/or a BC will change what the manufacturer has set for the vehicle. Should something happen to your car, I guarantee that the dealership will use that to their advantage.

I'm not trying to stir up any conflict. I'm only trying to give you a different perspective on the issue. Furthermore, when I bought my car I asked my dealership how they fealt about mods. They were cool with anything bolt on. I think this is open for different interpretations...a turbo "bolts on," but I don't know how they would feel about that. Also, I'm sure if I have performance mods and my window doesn't work, they're not gonna say "oh it's because you have a boost controller"

If you are reading this, and you've had any incident with warranty problems, share your experience with the rest of us.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WRXin' said:

Do you need a hug!

I highly value pace's opinions and recomendations; however, I've learned in my product liability class that the manufacturer cannot be held liable for a product if it departs from its original spesification. Installing an ECU and/or a BC will change what the manufacturer has set for the vehicle. Should something happen to your car, I guarantee that the dealership will use that to their advantage.

I'm not trying to stir up any conflict. I'm only trying to give you a different perspective on the issue. Furthermore, when I bought my car I asked my dealership how they fealt about mods. They were cool with anything bolt on. I think this is open for different interpretations...a turbo "bolts on," but I don't know how they would feel about that. Also, I'm sure if I have performance mods and my window doesn't work, they're not gonna say "oh it's because you have a boost controller"

If you are reading this, and you've had any incident with warranty problems, share your experience with the rest of us.
I'm not sure how they will respond if something actually happens BUT I did go in and ask how it will affect my warranty and they (Renick Subaru in Fullerton, CA) said as long as you don't go past 16PSI the warranty should be ok. Though they did tell me installing even just a downpipe would void the whole exhaust-system warranty. I guess I'm going to go back and double check and make sure it's really OK with them before I actually get the EBC installed though - just in case.

I'm hoping to have a good mix of warranty and performance. Thinks like exhaust I wouldn't mind losing the warranty on because the exhaust-system usually doesn't have many problems (does it?). But I'm sure I don't want to void the turbocharger or anything else that will be expensive that may have a chance to go bad. Only thing that may go bad that I can think of is the tranny/clutch, though I drive pretty easy on those and don't really drive hard until the clutch is engaged already. Though I'm worried that they could consider any performance modification that is done is what caused the tranny to fail since they are making the transmission have to deal with more power than it is meant to handle when the engine is in stock form. Hopefully it will never come to that though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts