Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I’ve kept my ‘02 Wrx Impreza bone stock. Just passed 152k miles.

There is a pesky P0171 code, system lean on bank 1. Only comes on city driving or idle. I think it’s a vacuum leak or dirty throttle body. Planning to upgrade the intercooler hoses as they’re brittle (never removed ic).

I’ve swapped out the MAF sensor, changed fuel filter, coil packs & plugs to no avail.

Any ideas?

Also maintenance ideas for a stock engine?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
20,095 Posts
Usually it's just a dirty MAF but you've changed yours.

Check for a vac leak like you suggest.

Also check the FPR connection, it's on the USA passenger side toward the front of the intake manifold and behind the snorkel.

Is your turbo inlet cracked?

·
20,095 Posts
Be careful in there. Every stupid little thing is brittle and has been itching to fail for the past 10 years, and it will nickel-and-dime you to death if you start picking at scabs. Don't ask how I know...

Reactions: a5m

·
Registered
525 Posts
Might cause much more damage if you don't pick at scabs. I thought all flex lines (coolant, vaccum, fuel), radiator, underhood clips, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, engine mounts, oil pump and timing belt/chain had to be replaced every 10years in any car? Atleast that's what my grandfather always did with older cars.

·
20,095 Posts
When my inlet cracked, I had to pull the intake manifold loose. To get to it, I had to remove a bunch of stuff. Virtually every hose and connector was brittle and either failed outright or would have been an act of idiocy to not replace. On the other hand I ended up spending hundreds of dollars and countless hours and numerous trips to the dealer to get all that stuff. To this day I wonder if I forgot something. It's a pain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate the comments and tips.

SD_GR, are you saying in hindsight it would’ve been better to leave the cracked inlet be? Meaning live with an underperforming/failed turbo rather than spend the hundreds and countless hours replacing the brittle hoses & connectors?

My foolish plan/hope was to squeeze another 50k miles out of the engine. Granted, I doubt the chassis will last that long.

I was considering getting a “complete” silicone hose kit like this (mainly as I’ve maintained it and know ej205’s, especially stock can go over 200K miles) and having my independent shop quote.

If I don’t, isn’t it true that any hose/connector (critical ones being water, fuel?) could fail at any point, meaning I’m limited to driving locally?

Or maybe I’m better off leaving this lean code be, monitoring for new codes, engine performance and wait for next issue to decide.

I’m curious how some owners could squeeze 200k + miles out of their engines without a rebuild.

·
20,095 Posts
I should clarify: fixing things is inevitable if you need to keep the car running. I'm saying that it's not free, and that I strongly disliked doing and paying for it.

I did switch to silicone where possible. If you have a shop do it, they may still need little connectors and such from a dealer. Also they won't know about the blue connector in the front of the engine buried near the manifold and toward the passenger side but still central. It's a T and if disconnected will generate a different CEL and it's a pain to reach once everything is back together.

200K is nothing. This is 2022. If we haven't sorted out how to make an engine last longer than that we are either all down the wrong path or we are buying the wrong engines. My car has only 247K and I see zero reason to even think about a rebuild. I maintain by the book, using this forum for info and to vent when little rubber tube thingies are bankrupting me emotionally and financially.

I'd fix the code.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Appreciate the comments and tips.

SD_GR, are you saying in hindsight it would’ve been better to leave the cracked inlet be? Meaning live with an underperforming/failed turbo rather than spend the hundreds and countless hours replacing the brittle hoses & connectors?

My foolish plan/hope was to squeeze another 50k miles out of the engine. Granted, I doubt the chassis will last that long.

I was considering getting a “complete” silicone hose kit like this (mainly as I’ve maintained it and know ej205’s, especially stock can go over 200K miles) and having my independent shop quote.

If I don’t, isn’t it true that any hose/connector (critical ones being water, fuel?) could fail at any point, meaning I’m limited to driving locally?

Or maybe I’m better off leaving this lean code be, monitoring for new codes, engine performance and wait for next issue to decide.

I’m curious how some owners could squeeze 200k + miles out of their engines without a rebuild.
I have an '02 bugeye wagon myself with 179k miles. Stick with OEM rad hoses since it's a street car. Silicone rad hoses are porous.

·
20,095 Posts
I have an '02 bugeye wagon myself with 179k miles. Stick with OEM rad hoses since it's a street car. Silicone rad hoses are porous.
I should clarify again -- the silicon hoses I did use are for air or vacuum, not water -- yes. Use stock water hoses. Sorry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts