Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that this Mod will give your engine more room to breathe..
is it worth it??
can i do without any harm??
Where can i find instructions??
If its better so why Subaru makes them with the silencer??
Thanks
tuca

·
Registered
878 Posts
From what I have heard, it's worth it. It might give you a few ponies, but if you want to hear that great induction noise, and the stock bypass valve, then its a great mod. Its unlikely that it would cause any harm, Its put in place simply to quiet down the engine. Check www.scoobymods.com they should have a tutorial on how to do it.

·
Super Moderator
1,991 Posts
I took mine off and didn't notice any performance difference. A couple months later I put it back on (to remain stock for DS autocross class) and noticed no performance difference. Just louder without it...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Well I read thir thread earlier and it was my inspiration to do it. I went outside and performed the surgery. It was really easy and the rewards were well worth it. The sound of hte engine is awesome, the turbo sound and BOV are awesome. I love it and definately recommend it altohugh I do warn you that side effects such as accelerating hard to hear the turbo spool will occur.

I now know why Subaru puts the silencer there. It is not LOUD now but it is noticeably noisier in the cabin but the boxer rumble really shines through now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the only negative thing i have read about this is that there is a possibility that water could get into your intake and mess up the MAF sensor. i believe a fix for this was to actually hack the silencer off the intake elbow. to cover the hole that you made a prevent the water from entering you could "weld" a piece of plastic over the spot the silencer was at then drill a hole in the bottom of the elbow for water to drain. you can find this someplace on scoobymods.com along with just plain old removing the whole elbow.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It would have to be a lot of water, i.e. submerged in water for it to have any effect. The air filter will trap any water and prevent it from getting to the MAF sensor.

Calvin

·
Registered
371 Posts
I believe you are correct that Kastle's elbow has a hole to drain water. I personally have the MotoGP elbow though.

If you look in the air filter box, though, you'll notice a small hole at the bottom. So, like it was mentioned earlier, you'd have to be driving through a waterfall to have any water even make it to the filter.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Silencer Delete Elbow

Check this one out. I tried this one. Fits just fine. The two things I read about doing this mod...

makes spool louder and stock BOV louder...

I didn't notice a change in either. Well, I do hear the spool a little bit more, but I don't hear the BOV. I was hoping to hear the swoosh or pssssttt sound of the BOV now. But nope. Just adds to the sound of the intake spooling in the turbo.

·
Premium Member
13,832 Posts
apod: Do you still have that piece on your car?

I'm thinking about getting one...is there anything needed to attach the elbow or does it just lock into place?

Thanks. :wiggles:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Integra96 said:
apod: Do you still have that piece on your car?

I'm thinking about getting one...is there anything needed to attach the elbow or does it just lock into place?

Thanks. :wiggles:

Yes, I still have this on my car. Maybe the reason I didn't hear or feel a difference was because I put it on the same time I put on my:

JDM uppipe
Bosal Downpipe
Bosal Twin Tip Catback

Overall...same results as everyone else...Spool is sooner and lasts longer (not from the new intake elbow). I was really hoping to hear the BOV!!!!!!!

Everything you need to install comes with it. On the stocker you will have two bolts to remove. One on the inside fender wall and
one under the silencer section of the intake. When you put this new on in all you need to do is use the stuff they gave you and only bolt it on to the fender.

After doing this mod...is everyone hearing the BOV? (Just want to make sure I am not the only one not hearing it.)

·
Registered
371 Posts
apodWRX said:
After doing this mod...is everyone hearing the BOV? (Just want to make sure I am not the only one not hearing it.)
I can hear it if I get the car up to max boost and take my foot off the pedal. Anything less than max boost and I don't hear the BOV and if I'm going fast there's too much other noise to hear it either.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I can hear it whenever I want I have to build a couple pounds of boost though, maybe like 5ish.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Is it more of a whistle than a pssst? Today...on my way home from work...I got on it pretty good and right as I let off the gas I heard a whistle. If it's not the BOV then I hope I don't have a leak anywhere!

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you had a leak it would sound really bad. You would also be losing boost.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yeah, it (the loud whistle) wasn't a leak. It was something when I turned the wheel. I took it in and got that fixed...can't remember off the top of my head what it was.

But, I made a couple adjustments and now I can REALLY hear the air and turbo spool. I can also hear the stock BOV (or what ever it is - I have heard others call it something else since it isn't actually a BOV). Low bars only though...getting on it I can't hear it.

All is good now and I am happy. :wiggles:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Before the silencer removal, did any of you hear your turbo spooling at all? I tried to get on it last night to see if I could hear anything in terms of turbo spool and bov release, but nothing. I even sat at a light and revved up to about 4.5k and nothing. Is it really that quiet? If so, Subaru did a damn good job with that silencer!!!

(side note: I used to hear the stock bov on my eclipse no problem when revving in neutral. It took about 5k rpm, but you could hear a distinct whooosh when you got off the throttle.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts