Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I drive a totally stock 2019 WRX, sitting right at 25,000 miles. In the nearly 3 years I've owned the car, I've taken 5 or 6 trips into the mountains around the Tail of the Dragon on the border of NC and TN. Each time, I experience frustrating power loss mainly on the highways and mountain passes in the area. In some cases, I will be traveling downhill at 3,000 rpm, and lose speed, even while hitting 2 or 3 PSI of boost. This is most noticeable in 5th and 6th gear, where even at 70 to 80 mph, the car just has no power, and I'll have to downshift to 4th or even 3rd just to maintain my speed. During these moments, the engine note also takes on a different character where even at 3,000 rpm on level ground or going downhill it sounds bogged down like I'm driving through molasses.

Now, I understand that air becomes less dense at higher elevations, but this usually gives turbo cars an advantage over NA engines. I should also make it clear that I am not trying to climb steep hills in 6th gear at 2,000 rpm. In fact, I mainly experience this power loss traveling downhill, and it seems to occur most often through rolling hills where I am constantly changing elevation. This only happens in the mountains, and occurs independent of outside temps or climate control settings.

I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience with the FA engine? Is this just normal behavior for the stock tune as it adjusts to changes in elevation? Or am I simply experiencing the effects of thinner air at higher elevations? Any help or input would be very much appreciated!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts