Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I purchased a used 2015 WRX Limited with 45500 miles about 3 weeks ago. Although this is not my first manual transmission vehicle, it is my very first Subaru. I have driven it for about 3 weeks now and I love it. I already know I want to get a Cobb AP and a stage 1 tune next summer for increased power and especially for improved drivability. I did purchase an extended warranty through the non-Subaru dealership (got a good deal for top-tier coverage for 3 yr/36000 miles) although I had no intention of tuning when I bought it. I am not sure how it works when it comes from Subaru, but the dealership I purchased the warranty from uses a third party for all warranty claims. I mention this because I hope that means I will be able to get the tune without much fear of an engine warranty claim being denied due to a tune since they won't be sending the claim to SOA. I also had a crazy thought of running the stock tune as hard as possible to test the engine while still under warranty. If engine failure occurs, I get a new engine through the warranty and I get to tune a brand new engine. If it doesn't occur, then I have a motor that has proven to be durable enough to withstand a tune. If engine failure were to occur, does the event recorder record the engine RPM at point of failure? I wouldn't that want to be a reason for claim denial either.

After reading through the 2015 motor failure role call, I notice most FA20F engines had catastrophic engine failure while performing a protune on a dyno, at least early on. What is the necessity of a protune? If all WRXs have the same FA20F engine, can't the same map be used on everyone's ECU once it has been deemed reliable without the need of a protune? I get that people like to mix parts from different manufacturers, but if I were to use all Cobb, then a Cobb tune should be safe/reliable as tested by the Cobb tuners and I wouldn't need to get a protune since Cobb has performed the protune with the same parts on the same engine. I already tend to avoid shifting at higher than 5000 RPM and don't want to expose my engine to that kind of prolonged high RPM. Am I correct that higher RPM is more dangerous, or is it totally fine no matter what RPM as long as it is below redline?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts