Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have good stock kyb struts from my 2006 sti, will they fit onto my 2003 WRX wagon? trying to replace wrx struts but crazy expensive for new springs and inserts etc. the sti stock struts are fat and nice compared to wrx stock kyb's. thanks in advance

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did not think so. what is a reasonable way to change struts? stock inserts not too bad but cant find replacement springs, which you need to replace due to metal fatigue. decent coil overs are 1800 and up, dont want bouncy cheap ass ones, and its just a wrx, so i dont want to spend so much dough. any suggestions? is it maybe ok to re use springs if that is only reasonable alternative?

· Premium Member
11,374 Posts
i did not think so. what is a reasonable way to change struts? stock inserts not too bad but cant find replacement springs, which you need to replace due to metal fatigue. decent coil overs are 1800 and up, dont want bouncy cheap ass ones, and its just a wrx, so i dont want to spend so much dough. any suggestions? is it maybe ok to re use springs if that is only reasonable alternative?
what about kyb agx struts with pink sti springs? that comes to about a grand total, you have to buy new top plate to hold those springs when you do that, what a hasssle man!

Metal fatigue isn't something I would worry about.. there are plenty of Subarus out there with well over 200k miles and I've never heard of anyone having a problem with stock springs. Bushings are what will wear out, the springs would probably last a million miles.

KYB AGX with STi pinks wouldn't be bad. I ran AGX with Eibach springs (and Group N top hats) for 12 years, about 100k miles, and was plenty happy with the ride. A better performance option would be Koni Yellow inserts with RCE Black springs, Whiteline Com C front top hats and Group N rears.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awesome, thanks, that is what i needed was specific part descriptions so i can actually source the stuff. do you think rally sport would have those springs and top hats?
will look into koni option, i am more of a bilstein and kyb kinda guy historically but what the heck, you did it and liked it so it should work well also. btw- whiteline ball joints and tie rod ends for subaru are incredible. no more bump steer ever again! super solid baja grade quality.

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
vidsolve said:
rally sport says a good solution might be pedersport strut inserts with eibach springs and proper top hats would run $1225 for the parts. what do you think about that solution?
Depends what you're looking for. I prefer the Koni / RCE / Whiteline / Group-N combo mentioned earlier. It's more expensive, but the $1225 setup would basically get you not much better than OE handling and slightly better looks.

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
vidsolve said:
where can i source all the koni setup you desc- where is best places to get that, and do i need tophats also for this setup?
Tophats are rubber wear items, so depending on the age, they may need to be replaced. While the assemblies are already out of the car and apart is the easiest time to do said replacement. Every time the strut assemblies come out of the car, you need to pay for an alignment. You could always have the tophats available to you, and make a game time decision; if you choose not to use them, sell them for what you can and take a small loss. Personally, if you're going to go with Koni / RCE setup, I would at a minimum replace the fronts with Whiteline Com-Cs for the increased caster, and decide on the rears based on price. You can get OE from the dealership for not too much money, but you can also go with Group-N which will be a better fit for that setup. Ultimately, it's up to you, your budget, and your realistic goals/uses for the car as to what you should buy. When I have to replace parts, I always look for the ability to upgrade when I can.

NOTE: My Subaru is a toy, does not serve as a daily driver, so when I replace parts, I focus on the spirited / mountain driving I like to do. I'm not worried about NVH or other things that people who need to live with it on a regular basis would.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.