Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, i know lots of people out there give so much crap about how sucky the 4eat models are (both sedan and wagon).

how tunable really are the 4eat models, and can they compete with the best of them? i know the stock 4eat's run about 6.5-6.7 0-60 times, which is still pretty damn good for an automatic, right?anybody else agree?

stock, the 4eat models will still whoop on a whole lot of other cars. can anyone give me a list?

let the ranting begin : P

oh yeah, and all you 4eat owners out there, time to show off your times and "kills"!

·
Registered
949 Posts
I would definitely say the auto is worth modding. Some people are biased towards the manual, but some of us have multiple drivers of the car and need an auto.

Anyhow, my time is in my sig. For some reason, my times are faster than most autos.:D

·
Registered
482 Posts
I love my auto, alot. I was first really dissapointed because of the massive turbo lag (nothing feels better then getting beaten off the line by a geo) However, I have really begun to love the 4eat. It felt a lot more powerful than the volvo s40 and mazda 6s i test drove, and has awesome handling, brakes, and ride. The best part is, with only a couple thousand in mods, the 4eat can be a beast and hang with the best of 'em.

·
Registered
839 Posts
i keep hearing about the 5mt's tendancy to crap out after 290hp in mods.

I also hear from some hard tuners how bulletproof the 4eat is to high horsepower mods compared to the 5mt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stock my WRX 4eat did 6.2-6.4 0-60. As for a list, here are a few new cars that a stock WRX 4eat is faster to 60:
Acura RSX type-s
Acura TSX
Acura 3.2 TL type-s
Audi A4
Audi A6
Audi A8
Audi TT
BMW 330i
BMW 530i
Cadillac CTS
PT turbo
Dodge Stratus R/T
Ford SVT Focus
Ford Thunderbird
The new V6 Honda Accord
Honda Civic Si
Hyundai Tiburon V6
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Mazda 6
Mazdaspeed Protege
Mercedes-Benz C230 Sports Coupe
Mini Cooper S
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Nissan Maxima 3.5SE
Nissan Sentra SE-R spec V
Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp G
Saab 9-3 SE
Saab 9-3 Viggen
Saab 9-5 Aero
Saturn Ion Red Line
Toyota Camry V6
Toyota Celica GT-S
Toyota MR2
Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S
Volkswagen GTI 1.8T
Volkswagen Passat W8
A lot more like most Infiniti's and Lexus's, but I can only type so much.

Also its just as fast as a Porsche Boxster and Ford Focus RS turbo.

:cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think the 4eat can ultimatly be made faster in the 1/4 and even off the line, especially for the non-pro driver using a torque converter....

A torque converter is probably the best bang for the buck, next to a $10 MBC for the 4eat, it can shave over a second off your track time!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Amen brother!

I love my 4eat WRX. I too have multiple drivers in my family (my wife) so auto was the only option in my case. I love my WRX! My fastest 0-60 was 6.1 seconds stock! I feel that for an auto tranny, the WRX's is great and mine feels aggressive when pushed, it kicks down easily and is fast when I keep it in 3rd (sport mode?)

If you are ultimately want a no compromise car the 5 speed is the one. but for a slightly slower but amzingly entertaining car, the 4eat WRX is awesome.

I don't have weather to deal with, but I suspect that in foul weather the advanced VTD system and the auto would be the better car over the stick. Would do you think?

·
Registered
220 Posts
my 04 is entirely stock, with ~7k miles on it.

the car has never lost a race. i know its not the fastest car out there, but i never try and instigate a race, so its up to the other guy to "ask". 100% of the time the other guy has been an idiot ricer in a jetta or a civic (vw, honda, acura, etc.). i just love embarrasing them in front of their girlfriends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts