ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past several days, I have been having a problem with the steering becoming very hard/stiff when making turns. So I had Subaru service department flush and replace the power steering fluid in my 05 STI. (they also checked for leaks, but didn't find any). The steering is much better now, but still seems stiff compared to how it used to be. Any ideas or thoughts of what it could be? It has been about two days since the steering fluid was flushed out.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
When is the steering stiff? all the time? Is the Power steering system making any odd noises like whining or anything? How many miles are on the vehicle? I would find it extremely hard to believe that a dealer service department would let a car out of there hands after doing work on it to remedy something if the symptom was still there...If your unhappy personally I would bring it back to them...PS fluid full? Drive belt tensioned properly? How does the "rag/universal" joint look on the steering shaft?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stiff steering is most evident when turning, but I would say that it's stiff almost all the time. Even when not moving, it's stiff. It wasn't this way before.
As for noises, i don't seem to hear any. Even after they flushed and refilled the PS fluid it still was stiff (although better than before the flush) but i just assumed that it might take a day for the new fluid to settle in.
How can I tell if the drive belt is tensioned correctly and the steering shaft?
Anyway, I plan on returning to the dealership tomorrow and the car is still under warranty so hopefully they'll completely fix the steering problem.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The stiff steering is most evident when turning, but I would say that it's stiff almost all the time. Even when not moving, it's stiff. It wasn't this way before.
As for noises, i don't seem to hear any. Even after they flushed and refilled the PS fluid it still was stiff (although better than before the flush) but i just assumed that it might take a day for the new fluid to settle in.
How can I tell if the drive belt is tensioned correctly and the steering shaft?
Anyway, I plan on returning to the dealership tomorrow and the car is still under warranty so hopefully they'll completely fix the steering problem.
As for the belt tension if you can turn the belt more than a 1/2 inch for every foot of free span than the belt is loose...If you had the dealer do the work I doubt this is your problem, Got to love Warranty ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, the service dept. looked at my STI today and they couldn't find the problem. The ps fluid is fine, the pump is fine and the belt is fine. They also test drove the car and said that the steering is as it should be.
i don't buy it. it's stiffer than before and when pulled a sharp turn into a friend's drive way, the steering got VERY stiff.
I think i need to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
well, the service dept. looked at my STI today and they couldn't find the problem. The ps fluid is fine, the pump is fine and the belt is fine. They also test drove the car and said that the steering is as it should be.
i don't buy it. it's stiffer than before and when pulled a sharp turn into a friend's drive way, the steering got VERY stiff.
I think i need to get a second opinion.
Are your tire pressures up to spec?

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
They may have left some air in the lines, that would cause intermittent steering problems, and can cause pump failure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it has been some time and the steering hasn't improved. the tire pressure is within spec.
i'm miffed about the fact that their senior tech feels that the steering is "normal" but wholeheartedly disagree. i was in the waiting room when he checked it out and he probably only drove it either around the dealership or the block. It's not enough.
Anyway, they're waiting til an official Subaru representative stops by and they'll call me in so that this rep. can examine by car himself.
by the way, is there a way that i can find out whether there's air in the power steering lines? can i do/fix this myself and/or do i need any special equipment?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
it has been some time and the steering hasn't improved. the tire pressure is within spec.
i'm miffed about the fact that their senior tech feels that the steering is "normal" but wholeheartedly disagree. i was in the waiting room when he checked it out and he probably only drove it either around the dealership or the block. It's not enough.
Anyway, they're waiting til an official Subaru representative stops by and they'll call me in so that this rep. can examine by car himself.
by the way, is there a way that i can find out whether there's air in the power steering lines? can i do/fix this myself and/or do i need any special equipment?

Usually, if air is present in the P/S lines, than when you turn the vehicle it will make a very loud whining noise

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One thing that I'm a hundred percent sure about and can readily reproduce is that when I'm making a fast and sharp turn into my drive way, the steering becomes very tough (hard to turn). It feels like there's no steering assist, but i don't hear any noise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
by the way: even when the car is not moving, shouldn't the steering wheel turn freely? i don't mean freely as if it's loose, but there shouldn't be hard resistance. right?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
by the way: even when the car is not moving, shouldn't the steering wheel turn freely? i don't mean freely as if it's loose, but there shouldn't be hard resistance. right?
If the vehicle is not moving and the engine is running, you should be able to turn the steering wheel without much resistance however it will be tougher than with the car in motion...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well... the steering on my car with the engine running is hard when it's not moving. It's a LOT tougher than it used to be.
Alright, so what can I do now to point point the cause of my problem? The service dept at the local Subaru dealership is dragging their feet so I'd like to give them something specific to look for. I'm getting really frustrated with this steering problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well... the steering on my car with the engine running is hard when it's not moving. It's a LOT tougher than it used to be.
Alright, so what can I do now to point point the cause of my problem? The service dept at the local Subaru dealership is dragging their feet so I'd like to give them something specific to look for. I'm getting really frustrated with this steering problem.
did u manage to find the problem??

·
Registered
34 Posts
I notice the same symptoms with my 04 WRX.
When turning the wheel either side there is a pounding sound not a whistle.
This will only happen when I drive the car for a longer time, and when fully warmed up.
This is noticed mostly in parking lots trying to make sharp turns in forward and reverse.
No leaks, fluid is clean, not low. Not sure what that could be either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi have this problem as we'll. I first had a pump issue where there was noise and I replaced the pump at first it worked just fine but now I have this issue where the steering is at times stiff and hard to turn and at other times the power steering works usually at a lower speed. I checked for air and I'm certain it's not the oil because I replaced the oil when I changed the pump . I will say that my fluid is a bit over the max line on the reservoir and hasn't leaked. A buddy said it could be the rack and pinion any thoughts on this? Much appreciated .

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
I was about to say... even if there's no external leaks on the steering rack it may be failing internally. Usually the internal seal will go and then you'd see it seeping out from the boots though.
The dealer never thought of looking at the rack?

·
Registered
3 Posts
But if it was the rack wouldn't it fail completely and not just at times? I thought the rack would at least make a noise or something or make a noise when moving the wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Maybe unless it's binding. Check for worn ball joints.
Do you hear any clicking or whirring noises while turning?
A few sites I checked and Google recommend replacing the pump with the rack. Old worn broken seals can be lodged in the system still.
Also check for uneven tire wear. A bad alignment can also cause stiff steering while turning

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issues

I have a brand new 2013 subaru impreza premium with only 4600 miles and I am having the exact same issues you are buddy. I take turns and I feel absolutely no assistance from the power steering motor. Just for the hell of it I test drove a brand new 2014 impreza identical to mine for a test drive and BAM. That 14 felt like it should, i could feel the fluid surge through the steering wheel letting me know the motor was taking the strain out of turning. My 13 is great at going straight down the road, but when I turn I do not feel the torque in the wheels handle the turns like I use to. This is my first subaru, but if those dealership ****heads don't bend over backwards to resolve this issue and put my mind at ease, this will be the last subaru I ever own.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts