Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I have a friend who's got a 2016 Limited 6 speed. It's got 30k miles on it already. I'm going to detail it tomorrow. So I went to move it and the clutch is REALLY stiff / hard to push in. I have a 2017 Premium 6 speed. Mine goes down with minimal effort. What gives? Do all the clutches in these cars get stiff after 30k? If so, I won't be buying it at the end of the lease.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hello all! I have a friend who's got a 2016 Limited 6 speed. It's got 30k miles on it already. I'm going to detail it tomorrow. So I went to move it and the clutch is REALLY stiff / hard to push in. I have a 2017 Premium 6 speed. Mine goes down with minimal effort. What gives? Do all the clutches in these cars get stiff after 30k? If so, I won't be buying it at the end of the lease.
They changed it for 2017. My 2016 feels like you're leg pressing some weights at the gym vs my friends 2017 lol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. I noticed the headliner is a different material than mine too. Well, I'm glad they made the change to the clutch. If not, I'd have one leg like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Lol

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well I am sticking to CVTs.. the manual 2016 felt like impossible to drive due to that.. and .. I have memories of tons of cash spent on new clutch in previous cars.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is easy. I drive mine like a normal human being. No thrashing on it, which I'm sure some do. I have fun, but drive it for what it is, not what I want it to be. Not all, but some people beat the snot out these cars. As with any car, you thrash on it, eventually something will break.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I actually would prefer the 2016 from what it sounds like. I got in an STi waiting for my car the other day and the clutch felt amazing compared to mind. Not a fan of how soft my clutch feels

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Well I am sticking to CVTs.. the manual 2016 felt like impossible to drive due to that.. and .. I have memories of tons of cash spent on new clutch in previous cars.
Lol, you think even the stiffest Subaru clutch is stiff.

It doesn't matter the weight of the pedal, you'll never notice after a day or two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Lol, you think even the stiffest Subaru clutch is stiff.

It doesn't matter the weight of the pedal, you'll never notice after a day or two.

Drive a new accord coupe v6 with a stick shift. I doubt you'd get used to that ever. Super heavy clutch and it is so fun to drive

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Drive a new accord coupe v6 with a stick shift. I doubt you'd get used to that ever. Super heavy clutch and it is so fun to drive
I assure you, it is also not that stiff. You've never driven a stiff clutch. I've driven vehicles you nearly have to stand on the clutch pedal to depress, stiff enough to lift you out of the seat. After a day or two, you don't notice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stiff or not stiff, I like the easy one. I just want to know what changed from 2016- 2017. I guess after a couple of days driving it, I'd get used to it. It was just quite a noticeable after getting out of 2017.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the clutch replaced on my c5 vette by a speed shop. I planned to go HCI so I went with 650 hp. It was murderous for about a week then all of a sudden I don't notice it anymore. I also have an 05 330 and its clutch is like butter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The clutch pedal on the 2016s are not stiff at all. Your friend probably removed the clutch pedal helper spring, which is a common mod to change the pedal feel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? Mine also has an abnormally heavy clutch compared to other 2015 models but as far as im aware the car is totally stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't know if it will help anyone that comes across this, but i will post it here just for completion sake.
My clutch pedal was heavy because the original owner of the car thrashed the **** out of it and destroyed the clutch (in 20,000km / 12,000 miles). I just didn't know that the heaviness was abnormal as i had no reference point until now.
I am just angry at the dealership i bought it at as they gave the clutch a clean bill of health on the pre-sale inspection.
Its also strange that the clutch was destroyed but wasn't slipping at all as far as i could tell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't know if it will help anyone that comes across this, but i will post it here just for completion sake.
My clutch pedal was heavy because the original owner of the car thrashed the **** out of it and destroyed the clutch (in 20,000km / 12,000 miles). I just didn't know that the heaviness was abnormal as i had no reference point until now.
I am just angry at the dealership i bought it at as they gave the clutch a clean bill of health on the pre-sale inspection.
Its also strange that the clutch was destroyed but wasn't slipping at all as far as i could tell.
Well shoot. I just bought a 2015 with higher mileage and a heavy clutch. Had it inspected by private mechanic and car looked great except the clutch was pretty heavy. He didn’t seem concerned and told me maybe 20-30k more on the clutch if I treat it right. It drove well so I also assumed my mechanic was right, and it had more life in it. Is the clutch toast? Or is it possible that it’s hard for another reason?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts