ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I currently have 2013 wrx and I'm thinking about trading and getting sti . But is it worth getting new sti?

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
I'm in the market for a new STI, but not because it's a good idea, but because I'm a glutton for punishment. I have many hobbies and money pits in my life, buying a new car every few years is one of them.

It's typically far more advantageous to have a car that's paid off than one you owe money on. If you have a vehicle with a loan it's better to be on a newer vehicle.

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
I don't know your financial situation to make that decision. It depends on a multitude of factors that I can't, and won't speak to about your money.

I can tell you the advantages and disadvantages of the car over what you have, but not if it's worth it.

The STI has a better transmission with more advantageous gearing for the track. It also has limited slip differentials and the DCCD center diff that biases towards the rear. combined with the diffs I feel makes a better all weather platform than the wrx with the appropriate tires.

The STI also has more torque out of boost than the wrx making it a better daily driver as you don't feel the need to be "boosting" all the time like an asshat. The few I have test drive. Have felt more comfortable in traffic than my 2011.

The STI will also come with brembos. The advantage is the added heat capacity for track day. Daily driving makes little to no difference besides being more expensive to maintain.

That all comes with a 10k dollar increased out the door price. It also comes with substantially lower fuel economy that it's wrx counterpart increasing the cost of ownership. The STI still uses the dinosaur that is the ej257, similar to your car. It has different compression, dual avcs, and turbo. It had numerous known issues that are a little more than rare. The fa20f has, in my opinion, seemed to hold up a little better.

The wrx is more than capable daily driving and in autox or track days. It can also be had with a cvt making rowing gears in traffic non existent. It gets magnitudes better fuel economy as some report actual numbers in the low to mid 30mpg range vs the ej 20ish that's notable. That's 50% more.

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
So what you are saying the STI is so much fun and pricey and more reliable?
No. Not even in the furthest stretches of the imagination. If that's what you got from my post I don't think either vehicle is what you need.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had a 17 wrx & traded for a 16 sti. The steering was the biggest reason but the shifting & lack of rev hang compared to the wrx was also a plus. The car felt much more planted too but I was comparing a 17 wrx to a 16 sti, I have not driven a 2013. What was said about not having a car payment is wise. I don't have a lot of other bills so buying the sti wasn't a big deal for me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Is sti worth buying?
I apologize. I cannot help myself. Someone hand me a sign. OK - I am old and officially self unemployed as of 7/31. I fit the profile of a curmudgeon.

In my opinion, there are better pure performance choices. If you intend on being a track rat, I would consider the Turbo4 6th Gen Camaro 1LE. Randy Pobst bought one as his personal track toy.

If you want the next level of performance the 6th Gen Camaro SS 1LE delivers in spades. This is in the ~$51K range for new.

If you need the AWD, then I would look at the CLA 45AMG. The AMG will be a bit more money ($60Kish) but offers a bit more power, than the STI. No manual and that can be a downside.

If you need 4 doors, a real trunk and a good splash of handling and sporty performance, the WRX is a good choice. I never minded the interior or less than audiophile quality sound system. It worked. It gave great gas mileage. I could toss it around a bit. I could put 4 people in the thing.

There are STI owners who get the STI on this board. I've never been one of them. However, they have real experience and real knowledge. Their opinions are worth noting.

I don't understand the Civic Type R. The Ford Focus fell out of consideration after reading about all of the oiling the track issues (I actually had a track event with one in my run group - nice guy).

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,063 Posts
I don't understand the Civic Type R. The Ford Focus fell out of consideration after reading about all of the oiling the track issues (I actually had a track event with one in my run group - nice guy).
It's for people who loved the looks of the Pontiac Aztec but still like playing video games in their mom's basement.

·
Æternum
20,415 Posts
It's for people who loved the looks of the Pontiac Aztec but still like playing video games in their mom's basement.
I do love the Pontiac Aztec.

Does playing video games in my own basement count?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,063 Posts
I don’t think so, no.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts