ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i used to own an 04 sti that i had put some 18x8.5 w/ 235/40-18 on and it was a great fit, i think the overall diameter was exactly the same as stock. I just got an 06 wrx t.r. & my main ? is should i get 17x8.0 or 17x8.5 and what would be the best tire sizes for those to try to match stock overall diameter and fit well in the wheel well? (the stock rim/tire set up is 17x7.0 w/ 215/45-17) also main rim i was thinkin about getting was enkei rpf1 w/ nitto neo-gens.

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts
04 STIs had the same lug pattern as WRXs (5x100), but that was about the extent of their similarities.

STIs have an inverted strut design, hence allowing more wheel/tire under the car. The stock 07 BBS wheels were only 7.5 inches wide, whereas the 05-07 STI wheels were 8' wide, and also had a 5X114 lug pattern.

A good width for a WRX is 8 inches, with a 52mm backspacing. Less backspacing, and you could rub the fenders. More, and you could rub the springs.

Of course, there is a little wiggle room... it's not an exact science..... but thats the advice I got from Subydude. You may want to call them, they are very knowledgeable about wheel/tire fitment on Subarus.

I went with an 18x8, with 52mm backspacing, and a 235/40/18 tire. I even have eibach springs (slightly lowered), and there is absolutely no rubbing whatsoever..... ever.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts