1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Funny but the Mustang 5.0 GT = Better car

·
Registered
138 Posts
At being a fun to drive, fast when I need to be, solidly reliable, overall fair weather driving car.

Now if you have a commute to work in a snowy part of the year place the Mustang will be a second car at best.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Reliability, driver engagement, luxury, acceleration, and quarter mile, highway merging and 40-80 acceleration. It's also worth mentioning the new mustangs kill it on a road course. In general, the sti and WRX maintain a cult following of misinformation that leads people to a false sense of what they are.

As for winter, I driver rwd vehicles for years in an area where ice storms are frequent. The only people who have issues are the ones who want to have them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Reliability, driver engagement, luxury, acceleration, and quarter mile, highway merging and 40-80 acceleration. It's also worth mentioning the new mustangs kill it on a road course. In general, the sti and WRX maintain a cult following of misinformation that leads people to a false sense of what they are.

As for winter, I driver rwd vehicles for years in an area where ice storms are frequent. The only people who have issues are the ones who want to have them.

I agree with everything you said except the RWD in snow. I owned two mustangs, loved them, but in snow even with: Snow, winter, or all season they were difficult. I went with the WRX for these reasons:

1. I needed AWD (this last winter proved my choice since I was able to drive when my wife's Accord could not).
2. It was a bucket list want.
3. Its a sedan (wife limitation)
4. It handles well and is fun to drive.

If I live to retirement I will be buying a Mustang GT Fastback with all the options. By then I will only need to really drive in good weather.

If the Mustang could handle snow.. and had two more doors....

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having owned a Mustang GT ; not current generation , and from my experience with both the STi is a much better car all around . Sure the new generation Mustangs with long overdue IRS should be a very engaging car to drive sportingly . But where is the practicality ? Reliability , Mustang over STi , point me in the direction of your facts ? In real world driving it's not even close . 9 out of 10 bank robbers would agree :soapbox:

Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVyBaX6sCd4

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well Having owned two GTs I can tell you from my experience I have had no mechanical issues and I logged over or around 100k miles between the two and owned them for around 4.5 years each. Their resale values were awesome.

Looking on numerous website/forums seeing tons of pwople agreeing with me about the Mustang.

However, its not a practical car for winter climates. Unless you have cash and can have several cars.. I do not have such cash.. I am now a one car dude.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Having owned a Mustang GT ; not current generation , and from my experience with both the STi is a much better car all around . Sure the new generation Mustangs with long overdue IRS should be a very engaging car to drive sportingly . But where is the practicality ? Reliability , Mustang over STi , point me in the direction of your facts ? In real world driving it's not even close . 9 out of 10 bank robbers would agree :soapbox:

Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVyBaX6sCd4
Reliability, really? I can find 200k original equipment miles on mustangs all day long. Don't see many ejs out there in the same shape. For you to even argue the sti is more reliable in any stretch of the imagination is a laugh. Don't be that guy. The subarus are reliable for what they are, but they are not long term high mileage vehicles, mustangs are and can be in any trim.

The sti isn't any more practical than a mustang. It no longer has a hatch, and is just a toy. So any edge is gone.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The STi is not anymore practical then a Mustang however the WRX is to a degree in my opinion.

However I suspect I am going to find the WRX to be less reliable then I need for my mega long ass commutes.. 6 months in to ownership and its ok so far but I need another 3 years... at least. And I am already reading about issues with the electronics head end system for 2016 (my model year).

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Damn. I've been wrong all these years. I almost thought 'fun to drive' and 'better' were subjective terms.

Apparently I mistook four doors and all wheel drive for practicality, too. Damn.
So you are telling me a lambos AWD makes it practical?

Sure AWD can be practical, but just because a vehicle has it doesn't mean it is. Same with 4 doors. You can have all the doors you want but if the back seat only fits someone who is sans legs then again, that isn't that practical.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Compare WRX, WRX STI, ECOboost Mustang, Munstang GT

Out of that comparison, in my subjective opinion based on driving experience:

Most Reliable car - Mustang GT
Most Fun car - Mustang GT
Must Practical car in a climate with lots of snow - WRX

However.. my opinion could change on Practical.. simply because if I end up having to spend thousands on repairs out of warranty issues I likely could not consider that practical and I will be looking a alternatives for a new car.

And no.. I would not be considering a 300k exotic practical no matter what it could do.

·
Æternum
16,122 Posts
The STi is not anymore practical then a Mustang however the WRX is to a degree in my opinion.
I really don't understand your logic. How is the WRX any more practical than the STI? Are you speaking in regards to the transmission options?

This whole statement lacks a grounded logical base IMO. I've looked at Mustangs -- awful visibility, virtually no back seat, tiny trunk opening, two doors. The STI is a far more practical car to live with if you need to shuttle people around in any case.

The Mustang GT is a great performance buy for the $$, but it's always a slippery slope and I end up logically at a 2 door, 2 seater like a Miata or Corvette when I consider purchasing one.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
So you are telling me a lambos AWD makes it practical?

Sure AWD can be practical, but just because a vehicle has it doesn't mean it is. Same with 4 doors. You can have all the doors you want but if the back seat only fits someone who is sans legs then again, that isn't that practical.

I'm talking about the common sense practicality differences between the STI vs. Mustang GT. As most car guys do, I've already thought long term on my next car purchase anywhere from 2-4 years down the road. As much as I would love to be able to consider the Mustang, and trust me I have thought about it, it's not an option. The big reason being I plan on having a child around that time and it will be much easier to load crap in and out of a four door car similar to the STI vs. something like a Mustang, not to mention a car seat. The STI has obvious practicality advantages over the Mustang GT.

I like a lot of things about the Mustang GT and I would love to own one, but just because it's the obvious winner in the performance category doesn't mean it's the obvious choice for everyone. It's clearly the favorite, but you can't tell me that there are not advantages to owning a STI vs. a Mustang GT.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Note to self ; be careful when posting a funny video and opening up a can of worms :)

My 21 year old self and a new Mustang GT .

Car was fun in it's day but ... I moved from SC to AZ 16 months later for school . 14k on the car at the time . Car was getting sluggish around western GA so I pulled into a Precision Tune ; it was late Fri and the dealership was closed . Plugs were burned up . Changed said plugs and continued on my way . Car then broke down crossing the AR border but I was able to limp into the Walmart in Salisaw . Yep , burned up plugs . The service manager of the local Ford dealership approached me in the parking lot while I was changing the plugs with the assistance of a AR state trooper holding a flashlight for me . The guy got one of his techs to come in on a Saturday to check the car out , this was the 80's dealerships did not do that . Diagnosis was a bad TPS . Changed that and I was on my way .
This time I made it to NM before it started again . Had to stay over an extra day in Albuquerque where the dealership replaced the TPS again along with the MAS and of course plugs . Took a week to get to Phoenix and the car just never seemed quite right after that . Got rid of it about 6 months later and bought a '66 Charger .

By comparison when I finished school and drove back across country the Charger with a rebuilt by me 440 made it in 3 days with no problems except for poor gas mileage .

Apples to oranges I know but that was my experience with a new Mustang GT and besides how many posters here actually looked at the first video I posted before jumping into the fray ?

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Man, you guys all have sticks up your butts. I was just going to post "LOL!" and call it a day.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This thread is a disappointment. Rather than discuss the art of the two handed shift, we are having serious discussions on the value of both vehicles.

FYI, you can use your break as your clutch in the STI and apparently shifting to park and back to drive is effective in the Mustang. This video taught me important lessons.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts