Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a race against a Lightning in my STi. A guy that I frequently run into on my way home happened to get next to me at a light. He asked me if I wanted to give it a go. I said sure. He told me he didn't want to go from a dead stop( for obvious reasons), so I agreed to go from a 1st gear roll (15mph or so). We were on a pefect road heading out of town that was perfectly straight and emptly for miles in front of us.

The race.
We left the line really slow and then as soon as I heard his engine rev (supercharger start to wine) I nailed it. He got a slight jump because I hesitated but I quickly pulled along side of him. I was very suprised. I slowly walked him in every gear. By the time I was doing about 85mph, he gave up. I had probably 2 cars or so on him and still pulling.

Then a little further down the road, we get side by side doing about 60mph. I was ready for him (downshifted into 3rd) and floored it. This time I got the jump on him and never looked back. I slowly walked away from him all the way up to 100mph or so.

He was really cool about it and he gave me a smile and a wave and went on his way. Fun encounter.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Nice run. Do you know the hp difference in engines between the SVT F-150 and the Harley Davidison F-150? I had a run in with a HD F-150 the other night and rolled by it pretty easy. It did move for a truck though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Have you ever lost a race in your entire life? :D

J/K man, I always enjoy reading your kill stories. You get a lot of action. Good run!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice Kill!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smokey said:
Have you ever lost a race in your entire life? :D

J/K man, I always enjoy reading your kill stories. You get a lot of action. Good run!
I rarely ever lose on the street. At the track thats a different story.
I think the last time I lost a race on the street was against a heavily modded Eclipse. I was in my stage 4 WRX. We had a pretty good race and I ended up losing by about 2 cars. After the race I asked him how fast his Eclipse runs. He told me the last time he ran it at the track it was running high 11s. (yikes) no wonder. So yes, I do get beat every once in a while.:(

·
Registered
483 Posts
Do you know which Lightning it was? There is a diff in hp between the 2000 models and the 2001/02. I think it is pretty signifigant. When I had my stage 2 from turbo xs I didnt pull the lightning but he did not pull me either, we were kind of neck and neck...Good kill though. Is your Sti even close to speed w/you old WRX. I only ask because I raced an sti and put like 3 cars on him the other day.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here is some Lightning data I got from the SVT website:
www.svt.ford.com

2000 360 hp @ 4750 rpm 440 lbs.-ft. @ 3000 rpm
2001 380 hp @ 4750 rpm 450 lbs.-ft. @ 3250 rpm
2002 380 hp @ 4750 rpm 450 lbs.-ft. @ 3250 rpm
2003 380 hp @ 4750 rpm 450 lbs.-ft. @ 3250 rpm

I can assume that the above figures are all crank horsepower ratings.

I raced a 01 Lightning a few months back when I was at a Stage 2 map (turboxs) and it was a great race. The only difference in the race was from the start where I took a 1-2 cars hole shot.

13secwrx said:
Do you know which Lightning it was? There is a diff in hp between the 2000 models and the 2001/02. I think it is pretty signifigant. When I had my stage 2 from turbo xs I didnt pull the lightning but he did not pull me either, we were kind of neck and neck...Good kill though. Is your Sti even close to speed w/you old WRX. I only ask because I raced an sti and put like 3 cars on him the other day.

·
Registered
142 Posts
JRod said:
Nice run. Do you know the hp difference in engines between the SVT F-150 and the Harley Davidison F-150? I had a run in with a HD F-150 the other night and rolled by it pretty easy. It did move for a truck though.
the harley edition is nothing more then an f-150 crew cab w/lots of harley logos and 20" rims for looks......no blower like the lighting

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
13secwrx said:
I don't know what year it was. About the speed of my STi compared to my Stage 4. Its got a totally different feel because of the instant torque. Before with my stage 4, the car was real slow off boost and then it came on real hard. The STi has power instantly when you give it gas. The two cars feel so different.

My STi seems to be getting faster and faster with time. When I first got it I wasn't all that impressed with its speed. But now with a full turboback exhaust and 2k miles on it, it feels substantially faster. It feels very close in speed to my stage 4. In some instances, it feels faster. I'm sure its good for easy high 12s with good driving.

One thing about the STi, the 6 speed has taken me a while to get used to. I found it much easier working the 5 speed in my WRX. If someone were to race me a few months back I wouldn't be anywhere near as fast. Its taken me a good 3-4 months to really get good at shifting the car. I'm still having trouble with finding 4ths and 3rd gear from a roll. I'm also still not as fast rowing the gears as I was with the 5 speed.

So I could definately see someone losing a lot of time in an STi if there not really familar with the 6 speed. You have to make 2 very quick shifts before 60mph. Then you have to make a 3 rd shift at about 75mph or so. Then another shift around 95mph.That can really slow you down if you not good at shifting. So the 6 speed can help you but it can also hurt you if you not a real skilled driver. I think that has a lot to do with slow track times for some STis. But once you get the hang of it its great, because it keeps you right in the sweet spot/power band at practically any speed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
the harley edition is nothing more then an f-150 crew cab w/lots of harley logos and 20" rims for looks......no blower like the lighting
That's not true. The newer Harley Editions do have a 5.4 V8 that is supercharged. It makes 340 hp and 425 ft-lbs.

SGOSWRX,

Any idea what kind of power your car is making? Do you have a boost controller? Any boost creep issues? I'm going ot be selling my WRX shortly and will probably pick up an STi or a Supra.

Thanks!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
silverscooby said:
That's not true. The newer Harley Editions do have a 5.4 V8 that is supercharged. It makes 340 hp and 425 ft-lbs.

SGOSWRX,

Any idea what kind of power your car is making? Do you have a boost controller? Any boost creep issues? I'm going ot be selling my WRX shortly and will probably pick up an STi or a Supra.

Thanks!
I running a totally stock setup with full catless exhaust. No boost controller, intake , etc
I'm waiting for Turboxs or shiv to make their staged kits available. Then I'm going to start some more serious power mods. Shouldn't be too much longer to wait.

So far I'm very impressed with my STi's speed. With just a turbo back exhaust I've beaten a Lightning, C5 Vette, LS1 z28, and numberous other cars from low speed rolls. So the car is fast.
Today on my way to walmart, I ran into an LT1 WS6 Ram Air Tran -that had at the very least an aftermarket exhaust. I was behind him going about 50mph on a two lane highway and he punched it. He tried as hard as he could to pull away from me but he couldn't. I had to keep backing off the gas to keep from running into the back of his car. I then slowed down and let him speed off at about 100mph.

·
Registered
183 Posts
SGOSWRX- The lack of cats must help. How well do you think you'd do against a Z06 Vette???

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Lightings are no joke with very few mods. I've seen a few in the 11's with nothing more then a pulley and full exhaust and a good tune. For a Automatic in a heavy truck i think that's respectful. If he was stock then that's a good race and i'd expect that outcome.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
04EJ20 said:
SGOSWRX- The lack of cats must help. How well do you think you'd do against a Z06 Vette???
I bet I would beat a Z06 up to 85mph or so. Then the Z06 would get me on the top end. They have an incredibe top end.
I beat several Z06's with my Stage 4 at our local track thats only an 1/8 mile. An 1/8 mile is a race up to about 85mph for me.
A well driven STi could definately take out a Z06 in an 1/8 mile.

From a roll, the race would have to be kept short and at lower speeds. Like I said, they have an incredible top end.

I did have an encounter with a Z06 in my STi. We both nailed it at about 20mph up to about 60mph and I stayed door to door with him. But thats not much of a race so I never posted it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
capt'n'caveman said:
As someone else has already pointed out, that's incorrect. I'll add to that and say that the newer HD is essentially a extended cab Lightning, with the same motor, which is very slightly detuned (about 20hp, IIRC).

Check out F150.com, although it is also a bit heavier than the L, there are some HDs there that are very fast - most of the tweaks for the L can be bolted right on the HD.

Like we used to say about the F-4 Phantom back when I was wrenching on them - it is proof that with enough thrust you can make a brick fly!

JT
'02 Lightning JDM enhanced.
'03 WRX VS2

1 - 17 of 17 Posts