Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I went to shoot pool tonight and check out my buddy's new MK3 Jetta VR6. We were inside and I hear these two guys talking about their friend's "SICK car that ran 12.7 bone stock". So I intervined and asked "what car?" I was shocked and appalled to hear them say an M3. So I laughed, knowing that a stock M3 does not do 12.7. Apparently he got angry and got my number from a mutual friend, because he called me and said his "buddy" wants to race me for one thousand dollars Canadian. I'm asking wether a stock M3 would take a stock STi. Anybody had experiences with one? I could definatley use a thousand bucks, especially if I get to smoke a car that's almost $25,000 (C) more.:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ran two of them right here in good old Montreal. Both buddies of mine. Took them both. One was the SMG and one was a regualr 6 MT. From a stop, smoked them both big big time. Actually I only raced the 6MT from a stop an d killed him, he then ran the SMG and took the SMG so I guess that would have me beat the SMG as well. From a roll it is a close race and whoever gety the jump wins. I typically won but from a roll it is indeed close. The STI should pull by a bit (mine did). Perhaps in mid triple digits he will win but tell me if you run that fast on the highway and I will stay home that day!! LOL

·
Registered
313 Posts
I posted this thread in the middle of the summer . The E36 that I raced is a good friend of mine . We have run a bunch of times since this first time I posted . I have a few more mods now than I did then :D . Here is the post .................................

Last night my friend and I decided that a roll on was due since he just got his supercharger installed on his 99 M3 . We went on the highway around midnight so there were would be no other cars on the road and this is what happen.....................................
We get side by side both in third gear @ around 40 MPH . I let him start the roll on ..... as soon as he floors it I hit the throttle and because he started the roll on my front bumper is @ his front mirror . We stay side by side and then I shift into fourth gear . I fell back to his door in between shifts but as i reach higher RPMs in fourth I start to pull up dead even with him . Now I am excited and of corse the shift light goes off AGAIN ! I shift into fifth gear and I droped back down to his door again BUT then I start to pull on him really hard towards the middle of fifth gear i nose up ahead of him by about one bumper and then we were coming up on a truck really fast so we both let off . WOW ! I had no idea how hard my STI pulled untill now . The supercharger gave the M3 a total of around 300 HP @ the wheels and it pulls extremly hard . The roll on was legit and there where no miss shifts . I just thought that i would share my story with you guys because I am pretty impressed with the power that the STI can throw down !

OH YA !....... I have 1500 miles on my STI and the only mod is no airbox resignator . But after last night being sooooo close I ordered an Invidia downpipe today for a little extra power !

Keep in mind that since then I have added a Boost controller , a full turbo back exhaust and a catless downpipe . The E36 did put down 297 @ the wheels and he does run a 13.2 @ 108 on street tires . It has an A&A supercahrger kit and a full exhaust . Now when we run I pull pretty hard on him ! I also pull on my other friends E46 M Coupe (the short shoe looking two seater car with the BG motor in it ) . He also runs 13.2 and has no mods YET ! I say race the guy and takes his money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Keep in mind some people think drag slicks on a stock car still classifies as a stock time. I wouldnt be surprized if the e46's can get into the 12s on drag radials.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From a guy in the BMWCCA and having owned several E36's and a couple E36 M3's, I can say your stock STI will beat a stock E36 M3.
The E36 M3 only has 240 hp and weighs about 3100-3200#
I have a 303rwhp turbocharged M3 and I don't know if I could beat my buddies Sti with a couple little mods. Friends of ours have seen him kill an E46 M3 SMG car from a standing start.

If he beats you then his car isn't stock or you are a poor driver. I believe the car magazine numbers show an E36 M3 running high 13's, no 12.7.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
afpdl said:
If you read the first post you will see he edited e36 for e46. You just cant edit titles.
Thanks. He claims it's an '04. Dunno if those are out yet, but it's the current M3.

·
Super Moderator
1,990 Posts
afpdl said:
If you read the first post you will see he edited e36 for e46. You just cant edit titles.
I fixed the title for you. And I'm moving this to WvTW

·
Registered
74 Posts
my .02

my dad has a 2003 M3 w/ just a short shifter. all the magazines say the e46 runs 13.2 stock w/ a professional driver, so he doesnt run 12.7 stock. also, it is VERY hard to get power from an e46 m3 w/ just basic bolt-ons and no power adder. so if he DOES run somewher in the mid 12s, expect a s/c, turbo, or some juice. the reason is b/c the m3 engine is under so much stress already, its already pushed almost to the limit. this makes it hard for the e46 m3 to make much more power. which makes sense (333 hp w/ an inline 6 and only a 3.2 liter) if you do race tho, dont think you will kill him in the 60 ft. i raced my dad in my car, and although it is fast, it doesnt have enough tq to get a lot of wheel spin (at least compared to my 302 lbs tq which does some damage to my 60 ft times) most of the power is in the upper rpms, so when you are shifting, he still has another 1100 rpms to make power from. all im saying is it will be a good race, unless someone does somthing stupid. if you do race, plz get it on film for our sake:D

·
Registered
146 Posts
there's people running e46 M3's with stock everything in high 12's on the drag strip...believe it!

may the better driver win...;)

the 2004 M3 are already out btw. It has a updated NAV and LED taillight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts