Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my co-worker just picked up a 2017 Charger Daytona edition (not the 392). Wanted to see what you all thought about the STi compared to his charger -- obviously they're two different animals meant for two different things. Wondering how hard it would be for the STi to keep up?

This guy also claims to have gotten the car talked down from 41k to 29k. Really wondering if this is possible since you can't get the STi or the WRX down very much -- again I realize Subaru will differ in offers and such when compared to Dodge.

Thanks for your responses!

· Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'm really wondering if anyone can talk a car down in price that much? To me, the guy is full of hot air. I'm still very new around here so I do apologize if this went in a lot of circles.

There is so much speculation and subjectivity in this post it's making my head spin already.
I know, it was a pretty "out there" post.

Sorta like comparing apples to Trumps. :dontknow:
I realize they're very different. Comparing something for corners with 4 cylinders to something for straight-lines with 8 cylinders.

· Registered
2,442 Posts
All I can tell you is if you're gonna get a charger, you have to get the 392, that thing rocks! Either one will get left for dead by an STi in the twisties but murder an Sti at the dragstrip.

41k to 29k sounds like the typical shysler markup scheme to me.

· Registered
3,060 Posts
I guess I'm really wondering if anyone can talk a car down in price that much? To me, the guy is full of hot air. I'm still very new around here so I do apologize if this went in a lot of circles.
No worries, we are just having fun. I do not see how he could possibly get a Dealer to come off MSRP that much, not buying that story. The base starts at 41K, at least he got that part right.

· Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
All I can tell you is if you're gonna get a charger, you have to get the 392, that thing rocks! Either one will get left for dead by an STi in the twisties but murder an Sti at the dragstrip.

41k to 29k sounds like the typical shysler markup scheme to me.
Okay -- I guess that's really all I wanted to know. @rexxx0486, my next car's definitely either a WRX or an STi -- just a question of when. I'll hit you up after I get all in order with this home purchase. :drive2:

· Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No worries, we are just having fun. I do not see how he could possibly get a Dealer to come off MSRP that much, not buying that story. The base starts at 41K, at least he got that part right.
I know man, no worries. I like to be a team player as much as possible. This dude tries to steal everyone's tickets (I'm in IT) and now he got this car. Just hard to believe him about work related stuff and I'm no car guy by any stretch so figured I'd ask ya'll to see if it adds up. Told my wife and she wasn't buying it for a second. :bs:

· Registered
309 Posts
One should just refrain from talking smack to anybody about racing or who's fast. It never ends good either verbally or in the car.

If you MUST and he doesn't let up, tell him you will meet him on the snowiest day in January on your favorite twisty back road. Dragging cars in a straight line is for hillbillies. hell, the same twisty back road in the dry or dirt.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
By keeping up I meant on an actual track -- where there are straights AND curves. Figured a Charger would destroy on the straights.
Depends on the track, obviously. It also depends on the Charger. A standard R/T Charger (5.7L) will not destroy an STI even on the straights. The opposite is true for the 392 (6.4L) Scat Pack Charger.

As is the case with most tracks, the more speed you can carry through the corner, the less acceleration that is required in the straights. Even a 392 Charger will be carrying far too much weight (4500lbs) for its Rubber. I doubt there are many tracks (save for the drag strip) that a Charger can keep up with an STI. The SRT8 is a different story.

· Registered
314 Posts
Depends on the track, obviously. It also depends on the Charger. A standard R/T Charger (5.7L) will not destroy an STI even on the straights. The opposite is true for the 392 (6.4L) Scat Pack Charger.

As is the case with most tracks, the more speed you can carry through the corner, the less acceleration that is required in the straights. Even a 392 Charger will be carrying far too much weight (4500lbs) for its Rubber. I doubt there are many tracks (save for the drag strip) that a Charger can keep up with an STI. The SRT8 is a different story.
I mean I have chased down new Mustang GTs , Ferrari 430s , Porsche 911s and more in a 14 year old Wrx wagon.

Really comes down to the driver , Dodge cars are just super heavy overall and rather slow hence why a v6 camaro is as fast as a hellcat around VIR.

· Registered
371 Posts
I mean I have chased down new Mustang GTs , Ferrari 430s , Porsche 911s and more in a 14 year old Wrx wagon.

Really comes down to the driver , Dodge cars are just super heavy overall and rather slow hence why a v6 camaro is as fast as a hellcat around VIR.
historically C&D never ran either at VIR lightning lap but closest stats on a quick search

2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 3:09.4
2015 WRX STI 3:10.5
2015 WRX non STI 3:15.1

Lightning Lap 2016: Results, Historical Lap Times, and More – Feature – Car and Driver

· Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One should just refrain from talking smack to anybody about racing or who's fast. It never ends good either verbally or in the car.

If you MUST and he doesn't let up, tell him you will meet him on the snowiest day in January on your favorite twisty back road. Dragging cars in a straight line is for hillbillies. hell, the same twisty back road in the dry or dirt.
Didn't really want to talk smack. Just wanted to know for myself. I having seniority on him at work but he is much older than I am -- don't want to be disrespectful.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
They didn't know you guys were racing
Gigs is a track rat.

I think we can all vouch for his capability on the track.

But thanks for the useful comment, as always.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· Registered
167 Posts
So my co-worker just picked up a 2017 Charger Daytona edition (not the 392). Wanted to see what you all thought about the STi compared to his charger -- obviously they're two different animals meant for two different things. Wondering how hard it would be for the STi to keep up?

This guy also claims to have gotten the car talked down from 41k to 29k. Really wondering if this is possible since you can't get the STi or the WRX down very much -- again I realize Subaru will differ in offers and such when compared to Dodge.

Thanks for your responses!

Well the Daytona is heavy.. however... in a straight line its going to be faster. It also will likely be able to be abused a hell of a lot more. The problem is its RWD.. and will likely end up crashing in even a few inches of snow. If I lived where there was no snow I would go with it over any WRX.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.