ClubWRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never really looked a bimmers because, well for one, they are really expensive. However, I know they are amazing to drive (my dad has an '02 M5) and have recently been considering selling my '06 WRX and getting a '04 or '05 M3. Then... the mags started testing the new BMW 135i:

Base price: a little under $36,000
0-60: 4.7
1/4 mile: 13.3 @ 106mph
RWD

The STI has always been one of the best "bang for the buck" cars out there, but now it seems that one of the MOST unlikely companies (BMW) has perhaps even outdone Subaru! Plus, you get a longer warranty (4/50) and free maintenance for 4yrs/50k. I was just wondering what some of the other WRX/STI enthusiasts thought of this new baby bimmer??

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
Nice car that 135 is but a tuner car it is not, they have been blowing them up trying to turn up the boost

if your happy with the stock power level the BMW is a good choice.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
The 135 is a beautiful car and it is BMW's attempt to jump into the small compact market (well not an attempt, the 3 series has been doing that forever, but at a bit more expensive price). So they are trying to sell to a not-so-rich crowd with the 1 series. The car has a TON to offer, but its still supposed to be a BMW and the ultimate driving machine, as is.

I'm sure once its in the market for awhile, people will figure out how to up the boost a bit more. I'm sure they've been trying to slap on MBCs and see what will happen, that or raising the initial TQ which will destroy the smaller of the turbos. I imagine Dinan and ACS will have their fun playing with this engine and getting the most they can out of it, its just gonna be uber-expensive to upgrade.

The 135 is built with the twin turbos, but they aren't the same. One is a bit smaller to get the low end going so it spools up quickly. Then once that start running out of steam, the second turbo will pick up and spool nicely in the lower to mid 3k rpms.

Overall...I love them, but as for raw performance, a BMW is an enthusiast's car where as the STI is just a balls to the wall performance monster. Performancewise, the STI is a value and more versatile, but overall, the BMW will probably be the better value in sense of a daily driver :cool:

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Both are great cars said:
+1. I have always wanted a BMW. I don't think I'd miss the jerky throttle response on my 06 WRX nor the low-rent interior. But in usual BMW fashion, the dealers always order ones with tons of options and a high sticker price.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
I was in the same price range as you looking at many of the same cars. You've got quite a few nice options in that range :) Can't really go wrong with any of them, it's all what you want though.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I actually went to talk to a salesman at the Bimmer dealer about the 135 last fall. I'd love to have one badly as well, however one thing all of you have to consider. These cars are already on a waiting list. Guess what that means; you won't be getting them for the price you guys listed above, at least for a while. And if you do, let me know so I can give you kudos.
So, that right there puts it out of the price range of the STi. In addition, since they are supposed to be releasing them in the spring, BMW has actually made more convertibles than coupes. So you'll have the choice of a convertible, which will be more readily available, but naturallly more expensive than the coupe, OR the coupe which will be harder to get and thus, will make them more expensive. Remember the markup on the Miatas when they came out? How about the Viper? The Mini Cooper?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Until it comes with AWD I won't even consider the BMW. It'd be totally handicapped during the winter.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
not sure if the 135 comes in the Xi(AWD) version . .
not for this year, but there are rumors flying around about an xi version for next year. THey did the same thing with the 335i as well (making an xi option after a year).

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am going to make an attempt to run my wrx into the ground, but assuming I was in the market for a new car and could work a ~ $40k price tag the 135i would undoubtably be my choice.
Or perhaps a very slightly used 335xi. These cars are sick.
Well, I tell ya', I took an extended test drive of a 335xi and was underwhelmed. It definitely had a nicer interior but it did nothing for me in the way of excitement. It was fast and smooth, but did not give me the sensation that it was fast. It was just a nice, fancy sedan. What was the final deciding factor against it (and my wife had been very interested in buying it) was when she noted that from the rear the car resembled the Honda Civic we used to have. That put the nail in the coffin. In comparison the WRX feels like a massively-powered go-kart.

BMW for show. WRX for go.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Well, I tell ya', I took an extended test drive of a 335xi and was underwhelmed. It definitely had a nicer interior but it did nothing for me in the way of excitement. It was fast and smooth, but did not give me the sensation that it was fast. It was just a nice, fancy sedan. What was the final deciding factor against it (and my wife had been very interested in buying it) was when she noted that from the rear the car resembled the Honda Civic we used to have. That put the nail in the coffin. In comparison the WRX feels like a massively-powered go-kart.

BMW for show. WRX for go.
The Bimmer is considerably faster than the wrx.

The wrx is incredibly deceiving in its power because 75% of all its torque and horsepower hits you like a baseball bat at 4,000 rpm's so it feels like the car is a lot faster than it is.

Not even a stage2 wrx could take a 335. I get what you're saying about being less fun and all, but saying the bimmer is for show and the wrx is for go is nonsense.

The 335 is faster than a stock and stage2 wrx, runs even with a stock sti and with a simple ecu upgrade will run with a stage2 sti.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.