ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, please forgive me for this post. I feel like a complete idiot for 1) not knowing all that much about turbos, and 2) not being able to find (or understand) the information that was given to me when I did a search. I just need some straight answers... Ok a guy that I know recently bought a 2005 STi, he's upgrading his turbo and wants to part out with the stock STi one. My question is: If I get the turbo will I be able to use it on my 2002 WRX? Is it just a direct bolt on? If not, what kind of modifications would I need to perform in order to make it work? Or would it just be a complete waist of money and not work at all. Once again, sorry about this post and thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
ya it would fit. if he is giving it to you for free, use it. but there are other turbos out there that are better

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, thanks for the quick reply. He's pretty well off, so I could probably get a good deal on it. Do you know how much they retail for?

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
you cna pick up a 39 for ~350-400 in the Private for sale section. You're going to need bigger injectors, a fuel pump, engine management at least to run that.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks for the information. Do you know what kind of power gains I would receive from it versus a different turbo i.e. a VF34?

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
if you're going to look at other turbos start by looking right past the VF lineup. If you're looking for something around their price range look right to the 16G from deadbolt.

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
At 15psi on 91 that's not that bad of a number. Increase the boost & octane and it would be better.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
hellafastWRX said:
I know someone running a vf39 + topmount stage4 and hes pushing about 275 whp

that sounds about right...with fmic some more power is possible...vf39 isnt a bad turbo..my brother is patiently waiting for me to get enough miles on my sti so i can get a bigger turbo and give him the vf39..i'd say its worth the upgrade...plus once you have injectors and ecu management..its not too hard to get your turbo swapped from lets say a vf39 to a vf30/vf34/vf22 and just get retunned

1 - 11 of 11 Posts