Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know if you have Sti top mounts? I bought, what were advertised as Sti top mounts, but they look just like my stock ones. Do the Sti's have anything that visually set them apart?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. But I need more than "pretty sure" if I'm gonna accuse somebody of ripping me off. Can anyone else verify this? Thanks

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Actually it's pretty hard to tell because there are so many versions...a popular STi model is the group N strut tops...I don't believe are any special markings in particular however.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to just take it on faith. I wish Subaru would make it a bit more obvious.....

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
thechickencow said:
If you were looking for the really hard ones, they're the GrpN top mounts. The STi's look the same as stock, verdict is still out on whether they are actually harder or not.

tcc
Verdict is in on the "STi" top mounts- same part # as the WRX, even the RA setup comes w/ the same top mounts. The Group N ones are the only hardened top mounts offered by FHI.

I've got a front Grp N in my hand (replaced w/ Noltec's) and there is a green dab of paint- don't know if this signify's anything, but it does on spring id,
Also has markings of 3F-0090, again don't know if those have any signifigance either.

Big Sky

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
Verdict is in on the "STi" top mounts- same part # as the WRX, even the RA setup comes w/ the same top mounts. The Group N ones are the only hardened top mounts offered by FHI.

I've got a front Grp N in my hand (replaced w/ Noltec's) and there is a green dab of paint- don't know if this signify's anything, but it does on spring id,
Also has markings of 3F-0090, again don't know if those have any signifigance either.

Big Sky
Wow I had no idea the the STi top mounts that everyone sells aren't any stiffer than the stockers. Thanks for saving me a bunch of money! Where did you get the Group N ones from? And how much difference in feel and handling is there?

·
Registered
329 Posts
What most people sell as the STi top mounts are actually the Group-n ones. Those are still sold through STi just as aftermarket bits originally used for Group-N rally cars but now used by performance minded folk everywhere.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Interesting, so I guess if you're buying take-offs from an STi, then you'll probably won't be getting the Group N ones, but if you buy from a vendor, you probably will get the Group N ones?

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Verdugo said:
Interesting, so I guess if you're buying take-offs from an STi, then you'll probably won't be getting the Group N ones, but if you buy from a vendor, you probably will get the Group N ones?
Correct.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry I haven't replied lately, had a busy week. Anyway, the new ones I got(advertised as Sti) do have a green dab of paint on them. The stock ones do not have the green, unless it has worn off or something. Both the original stock ones and the new ones have the same 3F-0090 on them, so you can't tell that way. I also did a more thorough hardness test, and the new ones are in fact harder. I took a 1/4 drill shank, and pushed against the lip, watching how much of the rubber rolled to the inside. It's hard to tell how much harder the new ones are, but they are definitely harder. The green dab of paint must indicate the difference, because as mentioned earlier, the part numbers are the same. They must just use harder rubber in the same mold. I hope this helps.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
The green dab maybe the mark, like I said they definitely use the paint dabs to differentiate springs.

I also did a simialr test (used a long bolt instead) abd there is definitely a difference in hardness (durometer) of the rubber.

Big Sky

1 - 15 of 15 Posts