ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
STI suspension question

how important are the bushings for an aftermarket STI suspension?
is the STI suspension a good choice, or should i go for some other manufacturer?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First can I assume you have a new age WRX? Sedan or Wagon?

When you say aftermarket STi suspension, do you mean the struts and springs from the new age STi sedan? These are the set available from SOA or are they the UK takeoffs or the Japan 4-way adjustables?

Most people will probably tell you that the STi suspension are too expensive, not worth the money.
Depends what you want, what you are using it for and how much money you have. Most will also tell you to get coilovers for more drop.

As far as the harder bushings, they will help with the handling. The down side is the cost of installing them.

Give some more details. I'll let you know what suspension mods I have later.

Anthony

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its an 02 WRX sedan.

the kits i was thinking of has the springs, struts, control arms and front sway bar. i dont believe they were the adjustable struts.
not looking for much drop, just improve the handeling.

my main goal would be to reduce understeer. i am much more comfortable with a car that oversteers. i am already planning on adding a larger rear swaybar to help with that.

that made me think of another question: should i get new 17"wheels before or after the suspension upgrade?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,481 Posts
The kit you are refering to is the SPT (STi) sold by SOA (your dealer). This is a very well sorted kit and also carries a hefty price tag. The entire kit consists of a smaller (19mm vs 20mm) sway bar, aluminum front control arms, stuts, springs (~200 lbs front/ 180 rear) and some (not all) Group N bushings for the rear suspension.

In addition to the rather hefty price, installation of the bushings adds a considerable cost (several different bushing tools are needed).

Myself, I would forego everything but the struts/springs, but add topmounts (STi). AVSport sells STi strut/spring takeoffs (Europe) including topmounts for ~ $1250. Later if you decide you need aluminum arms, firmer bushings in the rear- you can but these seperately.

For someone wanting a well sorted suspension and doesn't need/want adjustment, the STi strut/spring combo is tough to beat.

Big Sky

·
Registered
4 Posts
sti/spt strut+springs plus the 19mm front bar .. very balanced package
a-arms ... same weight but stronger seems like a waste
rear bushings ... absolutly horrid install

the av sport kit is a good buy

·
Moderating on the run!
12,481 Posts
subaruparts.com- $1219 for struts/springs (sedan), not tops w/ this however