ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
yep vf39 on V.8 sti. The 39 is smaller than the 30/34 might want to port and polish it. Its a good turbo until you want more.;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes, its bigger than the TD04 but thats not saying much. Just consider whether you will be satisfied and you can always upgrade if you want.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
gusto said:
yeah im not looking for anything massive, just a little more umph..
it's definitely a good option for a mild upgrade. low lag, and should hold reasonable boost levels till redline.

the intercooler is not a direct bolt on, it requires an adapter flange to blot up. there's a post on the club somewhere about it.

are you getting the hoses w/ the IC? they're supposedly silicone, and i'd like a pic if you got one.

dR

·
Registered
227 Posts
I assume that you are also going to get a down pipe, injectors, and a fuel pump to go along with the turbo. But anyways the vf39 should be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah ive got the stromung DW DP.

we were looking at the swap, and the brackets for the IC are there but definately have to check it out once its all out. ill look for the post.

it does have the silicone hoses already. it is slightly different than the WRX but its just so much bigger.

the IC is going on regardless of the turbo. i have to discuss that part out with my buddy still.

are injectors a MUST??? and i dont need to go all the way to the 500+ ccs right? just stock STI would be sufficient since i probably wont be going any bigger.

there will be lots of documenting if/when we go through with this. i just gotta come up with some $$ to make it happen.

thanks for all info so far. i love you guys.

XOXO

;)

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahh i thought they were 480 or something.

me = dumb (and i have a rex, not sti so i dont know some of these things!)

thanks

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
you'll need upgraded injectors, fuel pump and ECU to do it right.

you could probably just run a BC at 14psi and do it, but it would obviously not be optimal, and it would probably be to risky for whatever power you might get (if any)

dR

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bah.

i have the AP so i guess unless i go UTEC its not worth it huh...

ill have to drop in over at cobbs forum and find out if theres a map for this or start requesting one.

eitehr way, just doing the IC shouldnt bother anything with teh AP right?

·
Registered
900 Posts
kessler89 said:
stock sti injectors are 550cc
stock JDM sti injectors are 550/565, but stock USDM sti injectors are 480, like he said.

I'd go ahead and do the injectors, pump, and some type of engine management. JDM STI injectors seem to be the perfect fit for the vf30/34/39 combo. YOu should get a custom tune from Cobb though since you have the AP... I think the 30/34 maps would run the 39 a little rich.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
i'de just go with vf30 :p, i love it i have it and i when it kicks in and the fmic "kicks in" at an untuned gheyness of 4500rpms my stock tires will chirp sometimes depends how im on the pedal :p...........its cause i have no tread, but getting tuned on the july 31st!

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
WRXout said:
i'de just go with vf30 :p, i love it i have it and i when it kicks in and the fmic "kicks in" at an untuned gheyness of 4500rpms my stock tires will chirp sometimes depends how im on the pedal :p...........its cause i have no tread, but getting tuned on the july 31st!
Thanks for that wonderful hijack.

Back on topic, I dont think running the VF30 would be the best bet for you if you're looking to get a turbo close to the V8 STi one because its pretty outdated, and there are a lot more turbos on the market that will fit the characteristics of the VF-39 better.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Trailboss said:
Thanks for that wonderful hijack.

Back on topic, I dont think running the VF30 would be the best bet for you if you're looking to get a turbo close to the V8 STi one because its pretty outdated, and there are a lot more turbos on the market that will fit the characteristics of the VF-39 better.
yourr a twank monkey, i was explaining to him what the vf30 can do ....i did jack a little but still

GUSTO: if you looking to autocross and stuff vf35 looking for highway power vf22,18g,20g,fpgreen .........what are you looking for?

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
WRXout said:
yourr a twank monkey, i was explaining to him what the vf30 can do ....i did jack a little but still

GUSTO: if you looking to autocross and stuff vf35 looking for highway power vf22,18g,20g,fpgreen .........what are you looking for?
:mad: stop it fadi.

Originally posted by gusto
ill have to drop in over at cobbs forum and find out if theres a map for this or start requesting one.

eitehr way, just doing the IC shouldnt bother anything with teh AP right?
clarification: you'll need the AP to be updated to reflect whatever mods you added. so as is, no, you could not just throw the IC on there and be "okay" there will be a significant pressure drop and increased boost due to the larger core.

dR

1 - 19 of 19 Posts