ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a thread on NASIOC about this right now. Some guy has done it and said that it works. I could buy some for pretty cheap (less than Prokits)...

Just wondering if anyone knew if this was a good or bad idea. :wiggles:

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
They'll fit, will they "work" is the question.

The STi springs are designed to ride on the 39mm inverted struts w/ a lot more damping. These springs on oem dampers might be lacking damping, unfortuantely there is only one way to find out.

Big Sky

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had V7 STi springs for a while on stock struts. Besides the underdamped issue Big Sky mentioned, I'm going to guess you'll see a much larger drop in the rear that the front...this could also pose a problem for the stock rear struts being far lower then they're designed to be, and it looks a bit funny. I have a similar look with my setup (see below\/\/) but I think the STi struts should be ok for a while even with a bit of a drop.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I just put USDM V8 STI springs on my 04 sedan. I also have stock struts. As for the drop, it not too significant, about a 1/2" all the way around but really nice IMO. I don't have to worry about bottoming out on things such as speed bumps and inclines (my drive way is one massive incline, I'm about a 1/4" from scraping the front end when pulling in and out). Also don't have to worry about destroying the struts from bottoming them out because of lowering.

The ride is definitely significantly stiffer. Not as bouncy as I thought it would be but still a tiny bit underdampened. Very managable though. The car is lot more responsive and handles great. They were definitely a nice addition to my massive swaybars and ALK.

I'm not sure of the consequences of installing these on a wagon vs. a sedan but if they are alike, you'll be impressed. Completely changed the characteristics of the car. I wish I could have afforded pinks but like I said before, I'm definitely impressed with these.

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks for the reply. It's between these and the Eibachs, but I could get some used STi v8 springs for cheap.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I know what you are saying, I got mine for $100 shipped:D Awesome deal!

Have you seen this thread BigSky posted, these might be worth looking into. They will lower a little bit more, like another 1/8-1/2" than the springs I have on now but I think mine are a little stiffer. I'm just curious on how much they are charging for them. USDM V8 STI might still be a better bet.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71494

1 - 6 of 6 Posts